bubble algae promlem: help

finch6013

My suggestion is if you only see a couple, when ya do a water change, and are siphoning out the water get the hose close to the bubbles and then with the other hand, using a toothbrush lightly brush them off and suck them into the hose. That Way if they pop you still are getting all the pieces and even if they don't pop they don't float away and land somewhere else. Get them before they become a problem.

I suppose I could get them by hand before they pop and spread. I just dont understand what the root problem is that caused them in the first place. My perams are spot on and I keep low nutirents and a low bioload on the tank. As I said the rest of the tank rarely grows even the slightest bit of algae.

Dont emerald crabs have issues of their own?

I have kept emerald crabs with no problems other than they steal food when I target feed my Dendro & Acans. For that reason I pulled the 2 largest (and they were BIG) and traded them in-I now have one and it has never bothered a thing

Emeralds are a great bubble algae eater. I have sold them to many people that loved the results. Most emerald crabs, say 98% of them will not bother anything else in your tank. Just like any crab, there are exceptions to the species but rare. I would think that trying a few might be a good idea. They aren't too hard to get out of the tank if one does become an issue though I doubt you would get one of the "bad" crabs.

Dont emerald crabs have issues of their own?

Yes, they can however as Garrett mentioned they are pretty easy to get out if they do. I had one big one that was up on a rock trying to catch fish (managed to take a chunk out of one before I took it out) and then another one that I caught eating my GSP. Currently I do not have any but I wouldn't hesitate to get one for a bit of bubble algae and then I would put it in the sump after it was gone.

I caught an emerald munching on my big pagoda one day and banished him to the sump. But, I've had others in there with no known problems, and would probably get one to deal with a specific outbreak like you are facing. Then just move him out after it is dealt with, like other folks are suggesting. Unlike a rabbit or other fish, they won't be able to deal with any that grows on overflows or high up areas, so you may have to do some manual removal.

Bubble algae doesn't mean that you have high nutrients. It can live on very little. Waves had some in one of their display tanks that was otherwise pretty pristine. It is kind of a PITA to get rid of, but on the upside, it doesn't really do anything too harmful, either.