Transparent Anemone?

moovinfast

So I have a long tentacle anemone in my tank (tan color with white tips) with a pair of skunk clowns hosting it. I noticed the other day, that when its open all the way hes kind of transparent. I can see the rocks behind him. Ive tried to feed it krill, but the clowns always seem to knock it out. But Ive also seen them bring it back into the anemone. So I dont really know if hes eating. Is it normal for the anemone to look like this? My bubble tip and my carpet are doing fine. All the tank parameters are fine.

I'm sure he's probably fine...the longer you have him, the darker he should get from light pigment...expanding greatly will stretch him farther, like almost over blowing a balloon...becomes transparent...

If he is fed, he will surround and cover the food...he will expand and invert his stomach to obtain food, then retract stomach and pull food in...seeing if they are eating is very easy actually...

DrMerle

How long have you had it? I have herd from wholesalers that sometimes when they are caught and stressed badly that they can excrete there phyto and become almost transparent. I've also herd that it's hard to recover from that when it happens. Make sure it dose eat, and hope for the best if that is the case. It could be that it is really happy like coralreef said and is over inflating and like a balloon becoming transparent. Just keep an eye on it.

I believe it is because Krill has no actual nutritional value.
Krill has pretty respectable nutritional values. I just compared the package I have to the Mysis and it shows higher nutrition figures than it does. (It's the main thing I feed my Fuzzy Dwarf which is healthy although it's starting to eat a few other things as well now such as bay scallops and even a few pellets which I occasionelly feed) Brine shrimp (Fish Popcorn) on the other hand is another story.

If the clowns are feeding it then I wouldn't worry about it. I've also seen the clowns remove the food if I gave it to them directly and then turn around and bring it back afterwards. Now I usually just drop some in close to the anemone and let the clowns grab it and feed it to them (provided the eel or trigger don't get to it first or if it can rob it from the trigger which I've seen a couple of times as well).

i think a varied diet is best' date=' feeding say like krill all the time would be like feeding steak to us all the time, pretty soon we would start to ail due to missing other important elements. [/quote']

Ooooh! How about eating bacon all the time? (naughty) If only someone would develop nutritionally complete bacon...