zenia problems

bobkat330

I used to have the problem of having too much xenia. It would grow uncontrollably in my display. then one day I gave almost all of it away, and the rest just slowly died out.

I am thinking that it may be a fish in my tank that eats it. I do have a pygmy angel that some say likes to eat soft corals. But it could also be that my nutrient levels may have gone down (based on the algae that is no longer growing like a weed in the tank). I still do have some that is growing in my frag tank, but the display is barren of xenia.

To help you with your problem you need to give a more accurate description of what you have. tank, lights, pumps/filters, dosing schedule (if at all), other inhabitants (fish or coral eating inverts like peppermint shrimp or crabs). Nitrates, phosphates, and pH would all be good as well.

From what I have seen, either xenia grows well, or it does not grow at all. There may be no knowing why. Two tanks set up exactly the same sitting right next to each other may have different results with xenia. :(

dsoz

Dennis speaks the truth. Xenia is a weed in some tanks, and impossible to keep in others. I've read many ideas on why this is ("gotta have some nitrates", "can't have any nitrates", "gotta have some phosphates", "can't have any phosphates", "gotta dose iodine", "don't bother dosing iodine", etc. etc.) but none seem to hold up to much scrutiny. I think it's gamma rays.

when i tested ph was 8.1-8.2, nitrate 10 or less,nitrite .2 or lower, ammonia was 0, calcium was 500=, iodine was >0.1, iodate was .03 or less. but i thank my tested kit are out of date but i just did a water change of 8 galen in a 25 gal tank. i dosed with iodine and api eco strontium and stress coat. I did remove some sand out and rock that day. but allof my zoes and star mushrooms are looking good, even the pom pom is still ok but its at the bottom of the tank not the mid section of the tank. any answer by the way the salinaty is 1.0225or 1.023 shuld i bust that up to 10.24 or 1.025???

the salinity does need to be a bit higher, i keep mine at 1.025 personally

also, having detectable nitrites is never a good thing, you might have something else going on

whats your stocklist/bioload looking like in your tank? you might be a lil overloaded

what kind of flow is the xenia in? that could be a problem as well, i had mine in a higher flow environment and it looked like it was wilting on an almost daily basis, i moved it into a sheltered area of the tank, and its starting to come back

2 clowns, lawnmover blenny,firefish and royal groma that will be move to another tank once the tank is done cycleing and more rocks are in it. the zenia is in a morderit flow but midle of the tank. i have a 65gal protien skimmer and a wet/dry back pack with bioballs and live rock. with i change out 3-4" evey three days that is green but i thank my tank is still in it cycle since i removed the underground filter. i do need more cleaning crew i have 4 snails, three hermit crabes and a small sand sifter starfish. and the lighting is a orbital 2 x65 watt one 10k/6500 and 460/420 with luner light. three pwoerheads one on each side and one on the top each side faces the center

The truth is that soft corals thrive under "dirtier" conditions then LPS and the same thing the LPS thrives in "dirtier" conditions than SPS. The term "dirty" is up for debate yes, some say dirty is high nitrates, some say its a combination of things put together but the fact it if you are trying to keep pristine conditions to be able to keep SPS then your soft corals wont thrive. They will at first but quickly use up what food they had in the tank and slowly starve. Unless ya feed the tank allot. But then run the risk of "dirtying" the water.

Yes, there are some instance that are just unexplained. Let's call them the "exception to the rule" so to speak.

im having problems with my zenia dieying out. any answer to why???

I had similar issues with my Pom Pom Xenia, all of a sudden one day it started melting away.

I dont see any major issues with your levels especially when talking about xenia-my tanks params were great and it still was going on.

I ended up talking scissors and cutting both "stalks" off. Mine was melting from the top down so I cut well below the dying part. It grew back just fine and has been good ever since. I frag it all the time and trade it at the LFS.

Here is a pic of what I got and you can see what I mean by stalks. If yours is the same and melting away like I described mine was you can try cutting it.

If you look at the right side you can see where I cut a few stalks away-I was fragging it but you get the idea of where you can cut. I'ld leave about an inch at least

Its not an answer to whats causing it but like i said, nothing you have described indicates reason for alarm-water stability speaking that is-IMO;

P1100162.jpg

Good luck with it

its a 25 gal with three power heads two facing in to the center of the tank one moves the water on the top ,550 1140and a cheap one, a back pack wet/dry with two leavels one with bio balls and the other one live rock. and a coralife 65gal protion skimmer. light is a orbit 2 x 65watt 10k/6500 and a 420/460 and two luner light .

How old is your tank? Not sure why you are showing any nitrite if it is an established tank. Some will tell you bio balls have been known to house Nitrates but your level of 10 is not bad and like reef mentioned earlier xenia and alot of softeis in general like a little dirty water.

If the levels you posted are avearge and you are not having swings, I see nothing in the water params you posted that is alarming at all.

I picture is always helpful