Algae HELP!

downhill_biker

I am unsure of what kind of algae this is, but I am having some issues with it. I need to figure out what it is, and why it is growing in this frag tank, and not the other, and why it isn't growing in the display or sump, since they are all connected on the same system. I set up this tank 2 weeks ago and it is getting out of hand.

Curtis

algae003-1.jpg

algae002.jpg

algae001.jpg

algae001.jpg

Is it on the downhill side of the display? I.E. Does the display drain into this one? This looks identical to the stuff I was getting in my growout tank which I figured was a result of the detritus filtering into the growout from the display. I took a two step process to bring it under control. First I used a brush to knock as much as I could loose without taking the rack out and then I added a diamond goby to the tank. The diamond goby was the most effective and has most of it gone now. I do have another green algae growing in there on the egg crate now but it isn't the ugly brown garbage and there isn't nearly as much. I'm not going to worry about the green stuff as I figure it's exporting some nitrates and/or phosphates and it isn't effecting the sump or display.

Sorry, I don't know what it is but none of the fish you listed touch it? That's crazy how it's covering the frags. I get some detritus on the bottom of my frag tank that I suck out every other week when I do a water change. I have left it longer and do notice more algae growth when I don't stay on top of it.

I heard a "rumor" that white egg crate leaks phosphates. I don't know if its true or not' date=' but everyone I have known that uses it in their tanks eventually gets that same type of algae. Clay just had it in his frag tank and I had it in mine. Weird?[/quote']

I've also heard that the egg crate leaks phosphates before but I use it and only have coraline algae growing on it. Just my experience.

Curtis, do two things:

First, take the eggcrate out and scub it. This kind of algae tends to grow on fresh eggcrate with good light above it. After you scrub it you shouldn't see too much pop back up. It may take a few times.

Second, get a dozen Mexican Turbo Snails. They will consume every inch of that stuff. Trochus will also do a nice job as will Margaritas usually. Nassarius obselleta will not touch this variety of algae in my experience. They are mostly consume detritus and left over food but will hit up diatoms and some film algae.

Should help.

Mine did the same thing' date=' I took the rack out once and cleaned it. I think its just kind of a cycle thing with the eggcrate since there is no sand or rock. mines pretty much gone now but may take a few weeks and a few brushings[/quote']

No sand may make a difference as well. I added an inch or so of sand to the bottom primarily because the junk was ugly and looked way different from what I was trying to accomplish. The goby spends about half his time sifting the sand (which is completely clean now) and the other half picking algae off the eggcrate.

I doubt the eggcrate is leaching phosphates. If it did then I would think anything else made from the same material we used would as well (powerheads, screens, etc.). There may be something on the eggcrate that does though. I.E. Garrett's tip to wash it may help and would explain why it is a phase they go through rather than a persistent problem. I would have washed mine after the fact but it has a couple of frags growing directly on it.