400w PFO HQI Ballast Repair?

kilmca

I have a 400w PFO HQI Ballast that is not working correctly. It will work properly for about 4 hours and then it will shut down for a few minutes and then come back on for a few and shut off for a few. It repeats this for the rest of the day.

Anyone familiar with these ballasts and able to repair them?

You can gut the whole enclosure and replace the internals pretty cheap if you're comfortable with electricity.

Platt electrical supply carries most 400w MH stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's a Son Agro 430w HPS ballast inside.

You could also run a Pulse Start M135 if you don't want to overdrive the bulbs.

First thing I would do is take it apart and check for any loose connections. If your not comfortable doing this let me know and I can do it. If it's a bad component then it may be a bit harder to track down but a loose connection could be the culprit so I would check that first.

I have one that is also out. I think I need a new capacitor but am unsure of which one to purchase. Anyone have any hints or suggestions?

How many capacitors are in it? I think it will only be one unless it's a dual ballast. If so then all of the information should be on the side of the capacitor. (If it's a magnetic ballast then it will be essentially just a transformer and capacitor so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which is which)