Emerald Crab died today

Zoolander

Just found him. He's still intact and was upside down next to a rock. Almost like he fell off. My question comes with this: my Sally Lightfoot has grown to a decent size and I've started to worry it may exercise it's size upon other creatures. Needless to say, he was above where the Emerald Crab was. What are the odds my Sally Lightfoot killed the crab? Furthermore, I haven't had an algae problem for months so I'm wondering if I still need it. I'd much rather have the slow Emerald's then a large Sally Lightfoot that could potentially go for fish next. The tank is only a 55 so there's not a ton of room to run should SHTF for my fish.

Thanks.

Are you sure it's dead, and not just a molt?

Is there a little "lid" on the bottom that you can open?

I've thought one of my crabs had died many times, but apart from one *real* death, they were all molts.

Yea, he's dead. I reached in there with tweezers and he was lifeless as could be. I set him back down to make my post which is what lead to the post above this one.

I bought multiple sally lightfoots when I aquired my ultra filthy free tank. They are certainly willing to do battle with one another, but they have not bothered any of the fish. None of the sally's have been killed yet but I will be getting down to one when I put together my new tank. In my opinion it is possible, but somewhat unlikely, unless of course the emrald was too stuborn to back off. Just speculation tho ... only been keeping a saltwater tank for about 3 months.

I also thought I had dead crabs on my hand when they were really just molting. They back out of thier shells through a little flap so the entire shell looks completely intact afterwards. did the crab still have full coleration or look somewhat clearer? they hide after molting so it can be hard to know for sure.

I think the sally would have to be considerably bigger to even try to go after such a large meal. I think maybe just picking at the molt. unless you can see actual flesh out of the crab I bet it's still alive somewhere in the tank. My sally I had went after my hermits a lot and ate them so I got rid of it.

I know my sally killed the other sally I had in the tank and I suspect it of killing a sleeper goby. It seemed to be getting a bit mean so it is banished to the sump. Regarding the Emerald I use to have I had a big Electric Blue Hermit that had it for dinner awhile back. (Had the carapace torn open and was chowing away on it)

Regarding molts they can look so close to the whole crab (shrimp, etc.) that takes close inspection to know for sure.

Chances are if it is not a molt, the crab probably died before the sally got to it. Same with your emeral and the electric blue hermit Rick. Emeralds usually don't have a problem defendign themselves even against much larger critters. Sallys, emeralds, and hermits will almost never kill something that is healthy and doing well. They will almost always be blamed for doing so because they are the first to noticed that something isn't doing well or has just died so that they can take advantage of the easy meal. Crabs are all opportunistic so if a situation presents itself and there is an unhealthy or dead critter, they will eat it.

Also, in my experience Sallys will tend to pick on each other until there is only one per about 3ft-4ft or so of tank space with lots of live rock. They are pretty territorial within their own species but they will not go after anything else that is healthy unless they are about the 7" across mark. Even then though it is extremely rare. I would say about 99.5% of sallys and emeralds are model citizens.