I simply can't believe what I just heard

CA2OR

So a friend of mine from high school called me last night and told me some of the most disturbing news I have heard in a very long time. Another friend of ours returned from 2 tours in Iraq about a year or 2 ago. Ever since then he has had some serious mental issues from what all he experienced over there. But that wasn't what bothers me. Due to his mental state he has been unable to find a job which in turn left him all but homeless. Yesterday the state removed his kids from him leaving the reason that he is "unable to provide for them adequately". Although I am sure this is true it is bothersome that we allow our vet's to even get into these situations.

To keep this thread clean I will avoid sharing my honest opinion of this...all I will say is I find it.....you know....I can't even think of the words to explain how this makes me feel. I think I am actually ashamed to live in a country that would allow our vet's to be treated like this. This guy layed his life down, I am sure on more than on occasion, for what he felt was protecting our country....and as repayment we take his kids?DOH!

I'm sorry....but this is heartbreaking. I wish there was something I could do to help him.

I agree, bringing this in to the public spectrum will catch the attention of those whom may be able to help....

Also there is a SALEM V.A. Administration office on Summer St Salem... I will post the Number shortlly. They may be able to help him as he may not of known the channels to go thrue, to help himself....Its hard when you get locked in your own head .... seeking out help is very hard. But there are V.A. advacasy personel that should be helping him..

Ill post the number so you can give it to your friend...

This is tragic!!!!!

That is one of the worst things that I have heard in a long time. When we let drug users and sex offenders keep their kids, but take them away from people that helped protect our country.

I hope that your friend gets the help that he needs to return to some sence of normal, and that he gets well enough to have his kids returned to him.

dsoz

I'm heartbroken.

I came to this country 27 years ago from England/Scotland and you'd be hard pressed to find a more loyal American (yup, I came here legally and am now a U.S. citizen)

Last weekend at the Ducks game they announced for all the vets to stand up...I think I cheered so loudly I lost some hearing lol.

I don't know if this friend in near you or in another state....if he's here...PLEASE, PLEASE see if you can get a network of past firends going to make sure he's safe and I mean safe from himself. Suicide is a real issue and it sounds like your friend is hitting rock bottom I hope the loss of his kids isn't the last straw.

My heart breaks for this brave, brave man who joined the service to protect and defend us ALL (sad)(sad)(sad)

it is getting so the workhorses of this country are ridden into the ground...

This is indeed sad that this could happen...

If his mental state prevented his working, then it may be best for the children to be taken care of elsewhere, but why isn't the government helping this man...

why aren't the CEOs on Wallstreet all in jail...financial meltdown was their fault and yet they are yachting in the Carribean instead of rotting in jail...

why are soldiers fighting mental/physical ailments floundering with no support systems...

at some point the system will collapse from despair...

DrMerle

He lives in Southern California

I have been on the phone all day....as I am sure a few of my friends have been as well....trying to help his mother get custody of the children....I dont think that removing him from their lives is a very fair thing to do. Which seems to be exactly what the state has in mind. I just dont understand....how can we do this to people? Soldiers that fought our battles and stood up for us....how can we let this happen?

I must admit....for today anyway....sadly....I feel ashamed to be an American. To be part of a country that would allow something like this to happen to one of it's sons. That was probably the hardest thing I have ever typed or said. I have alway had pride in my country no matter what goes on.

Well..(sad)..I found out that at some time yesterday he decided to find a permanant solution to what I hope was a temporary problem. It is absolutely astounding that they can take away his kids but still allow him to own firearms(scratch).

On a side note...and I am not trying to make a joke out of this(enforcer)...is it just me or should there be a law prohibiting homeless people from owning a gun(nono). Seems that the potential for tragedy is a bit higher under those circumstances(scary).

I used to work with a lady that had lost touch with her family members. when se learned that her brother, a vietnam vet was in the same situation, homless and with PTSD, she sent him money and brought him into her home. it was amazing to hear as he was able to get back on his feet.

I am sorry to hear what has happened. may he rest in peace.

What would be nice is if each soldier had a support list of people to call if they have problem when they get back. then these guys and gals would know they can call people for support.

after experiencing all of this I am in firm belief that there needs to be a change in the support system that we have for those who serve. Regardless of your view pionts on whether we are right or wrong with our interactions with other countries these people are providing a service for you and helping protect what you hold valuable in your life.

It is very shameful! but it's not new news! There is several movies about what happened to guy's coming home from Vietnam war, very sad and yes I feel very ashamed to be an American when our government will give billions to a third world country and cant help our solders when they come home. We spend to much time and money trying to fix other nations when our's is hurting so bad!

We spend to much time and money trying to fix other nations when our's is hurting so bad!

its all about money and oil. If you really get into politics with foreign countrys and the US you will find that everything we do is about making money for those in government and big business. The US doesn't care about the other country's, the war, or illegals. They care about making it profitable and making it look justified to us the citizens.