my new 290gal is .....

izzypop

I guess the ones I really notice receeding are the LPS (candy, hammer and frog) that close up for the night which I thought was normal when the "sun" went down with tentacles out. Anyway, the tubes themselves are sealed in acrylic. (square ends are 5/8", tube 3mm) The little rectangle power inverter I'm just going to silicone seal the plugs in case of salt creep. (my hood is only about 6" tall and get salt on my VHO's).

Let me know and I can swing these by to test on your tank. One set would probably do the trick on your tank. I had a triple LED setup, but I like these cathodes because of a smooth overall transition with light. Geek saw it and liked it, waiting for him to post pics of his rednight tank. I think rope lights will use more power, the box claims it draws 5.0mA. They don't get very warm at all. Funny thing is, Ken who owns the place, sold his instore reef tank to an employee and when talking to him, a light came on. He never thought about it, but is going to try them on his too.

My tank is 6' long........If I didn't want all the light, was thinking you could mask some with electrical tape....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawn,

Home Depot in the lighting section, The only have blue available in like 16ft length but you can just trim it off at the length you want and seal the end with some silicon. Not really a Christmas light thing, I setup some purple ones in my daughters room and she loves them.

Shawn,

Home Depot in the lighting section, The only have blue available in like 16ft length but you can just trim it off at the length you want and seal the end with some silicon. Not really a Christmas light thing, I setup some purple ones in my daughters room and she loves them.

Target had some blue too. Some places sell clear tubing with blue led's, but I know Targets was blue plastic....don't recall price since I buy after Christmas specials at 90% off. I think Angel Queen has the clear w/ blue, maybe she'll step in and give her opinion on how it looks at night.

I got my blue rope light at Home Depot. At the time I bought mine they had the 6' foot option. Perfect for my 125. They are just regular blue. I have them tacked up in front of the halides. They stay on all the time. They are pretty dim, only if its completely dark in the room, can you see them. I have to wait a minute for my eyes to adjust before I can actually see anything. I put these on as a quick fix, and havent gotten around to getting the moonlights that shimmer.

Tammy

I have caribsea brand sand in the tank. Not sure what kind. The sand didn't blow around at all. I'm just to lazy to get in there and spread it out. It is in the same spot I dumped it. Once I get the rock aquascaped I'll worry about getting the sand where I want it.

what about gettingaragonite playsand from advanced in salem? its great for reefs and its not too spendy. Its sold thru lowes but only on east coast. basically florida beach sand. they had 50lb bags for $25 bucks.

Salem would cost me too much in gas :( and at least the Carib Sea Seaflor Special grade is a little larger, playsand would be pretty fine and already have that problem. I've got about 200# of crushed coral, but don't want to go that big. I was going to get some with Petsmart's free shipping, but Patrick has a pretty decent price for 40# bags.

Just an update for ya all. Got the skimmer installed and electrical done. The inline 220v timer and 110v timer installed. The helios 400w bulbs I'm having a little trouble getting working but once I sort out the bulb thing I'll get some pics.

Something very cool on the way is a brand new H&S 200CR-F3000 Calcium Reactor. Can't wait to get that baby hooked up. I'll get some pics of it when it arrives. Knowing H&S availability I'm not waiting by the door for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't figure out how to take a decent pic of the tank. Everything comes out horrible. I have started to transfer some stuff over and I did get my base rock too. I will probably be doing aquascaping in a week or two. Here are some pics of what I have. Shipment from H&S maybe coming into the US this week so I might see my reactor in a week or two.

DSC02458Medium.jpg

IMG_0368web.jpg

whats the name of the coral in the middle, its brown with blue tips, starts off at the base as two sticks and then branches? ive got one of them and its done the same thing, started off as two fingers abought 4in long and now has branched out the top, and finnaly has a couple nubes starting at the base, looks like some more fingers are coming out of the base.

some updates....

- The becketts on my skimmer were not sealed enough so those are being fixed right now, man I want to find out if this thing is going to work or not....

- I finally got everything to do my CL with OM4way (minus the plumbing).

- Picked up my Skimmer Auto Shut Off Waste Collector.

- Picked up and installed a dehumidifier for the garage.

- Been battling with these 400w helios bulbs for a while but I think I got it figured out finally.

- Set up a temporary precision marine calcium reactor until the new one comes.

here is another pic from when I finished the moulding a while ago that I forgot to post. I am happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_0361web.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update:

My daughter Emily was born January 21st and she is happy and healthy. With the new addition I haven't had lots of tank time but I did finish the OM4way install. I haven't had a chance to add my rock or aquascape so it is a seafloor of corals right now but it is still very cool. Here is a pic I took last night to share. Once I get the rock in and aquascaped I'll take some more pics.

IMG_0466real.jpg