Residue Chemicals in Filter Socks?

Algae

In the past I've used a few different brands of socks. Most recently I've been using JBJ socks without incident. However, I changed out my old JBJ for a new Marine Depot sock and my skimmer went crazy. Microbubbles everywhere. Can't even run the skimmer. Went back to no sock and the skimmer just went off again with bubbles. This lends me to believe that there is a chemical present in the Marine Depot filter(s)?

My question is; What is the best way to remove the chemicals. Baking soda or bleach wash, or what? I just ordered 16 socks so I would like to find a solution rather than doing a partial return. By the way, the material is 200 micron, made by Purolator.

Funny. I have never had that problem with my filter socks. I have only used one brand and I get them in bulk for a lot less than marine depot. Can't remember the brand and I'm not feeling like looking at the moment. Any of you all thought of a group buy?? I could check if there is enough interest, like 100-150 count order. But only if really interested. I don't want to waste my time and 'm not going to sit on them. I have mine. There 200 micron and I get them from the factory.

Funny. I have never had that problem with my filter socks. I have only used one brand and I get them in bulk for a lot less than marine depot. Can't remember the brand and I'm not feeling like looking at the moment. Any of you all thought of a group buy?? I could check if there is enough interest' date=' like 100-150 count order. But only if really interested. I don't want to waste my time and 'm not going to sit on them. I have mine. There 200 micron and I get them from the factory.[/quote']

I would take 15 or so depending on price.

Thanks people for the advice! I ended up washing with bleach with a small amount of Free & Clear detergent and air drying. Seems to work well.

The socks were on a 2 for 1 sale at Marine Depot, so they were not steep. I really prefer the simple ring type as opposed to larger rim types (MD). But, what the hey. When Garret was tearing down his old system I should have bought out his supply! Still kicking myself over that one.

Downhillbiker had some that he bought that a reaonable price on another forum. Saying all that, buying a large quatity like CCR did seems like a great choice. I have enough socks for now. Thanks for the offer, CCR! Doing a group buy is often a hassel for the organizer that is underappreciated.