DIY self cleaning head

madmike

I saw a thread on RC that showed how to use a BBQ rotisserie motor to make a self cleaning skimmer head.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1682018

I thought I would try my hand at making one, after all these things cost like a thousand bucks and I made one for less than $40. Here is a pic of it and a small video of it in use. I just fed with mysis, so the foam head has died, but look at all the foam in the cup and look how clean the neck is. I am going to put it on a timer to run twice daily for a minute or two. The thread on RC also showed how to make a washdown system, but my skimmer is not linked to a drain yet so that will have to wait for later.

autocup.jpg

video

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/smithrookie/?action=view&current=DSC_0051.flv

Sure, its a rotisserie from lowes. The original DIY author bought his at walmart for about 20 bucks, but both the walmarts in vancouver were out. The one at lowes uses the same exact motor but cost $35. Then it is just an acrylic 1/2" rod connected to a squeegee. I made the squeegee by sandwiching squeegee material between two pieces of acrylic and tightened it together with nylon bolts/nuts.

The rotisserie has a square hole for where the stainless rod goes into it, so I just used a grinder to grind the round peg into a square shape, heated it up a little with a heat gun and pressed it in. I then drilled a tiny hole thru the metal and acrylic and bent a pin thru it to hold it in. all of the metal parts are outside the skimmer mounted on the top of the cup, only the acrylic rod and squeegee material are inside the neck.

This was suprisingly easy to do and I think it will help take my reeflo 250 to the next level.

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mike Im bringing this thread back from the dead! how is this system working out now? Im moving to the couve and will be setting up a "tank room" in the garage. Finally will have some space to work with! I intend on doing something like this, how is your creation holding up?

It was alright but I upgraded my skimmer to a Super reef octopus 5000 and went with a swabie by Avast marine for it. it has worked out great! With a collection container that holds several gallons of skimmate, I only have to empty it out about once every 1 to 2 weeks. I only clean the skimmer about once a month. I have the swabbie turning on for about 1 minute 4 times daily with my Apex controller.

BTW you gotta come by sometime and see the setup. Did you get the house in Salmon Creek?

Mike

It was alright but I upgraded my skimmer to a Super reef octopus 5000 and went with a swabie by Avast marine for it. it has worked out great! With a collection container that holds several gallons of skimmate, I only have to empty it out about once every 1 to 2 weeks. I only clean the skimmer about once a month. I have the swabbie turning on for about 1 minute 4 times daily with my Apex controller.

BTW you gotta come by sometime and see the setup. Did you get the house in Salmon Creek?

Mike

Its still in the works but we are supposed to sign this week.

Wanna help move a tank :)