new build thread

reef165

sure I have had several tanks but Ive not had a full on build thread to speek of so here we go. Keep in mind that I am unemployed so its taken me some time to get whare I am and it'll take some time to get water in it! But heres whare I stand. Any suggestions of equip and building will be apriciated! Heres some pic's for your enjoyment. The 4th pic is of the 3/8 redwood panneling wiped down to see the beauty. I hope it turns out like that with clear coat!

post-110-14186777771_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867777711_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867777713_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867777714_thumb.jpg

These are pic's of the hood and the doors installed. I should mention that all joints are Gorilla glued. The hood is open toped and my light is going to be mounted so that the hood can be removed for access and Im hoping to cut down on heat issues. The holes on the ends of the hood are for heat loss as well.

post-110-14186774731_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867747311_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867747312_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867747314_thumb.jpg

Looks great. I really like the way you did the panels and trim with 2 different types of wood. It's close to the same look I was going for with the stand I made for my big tank. One if these days I'll finish it up. Two things I would have done different. I would have enclosed the back to keep any jumpers from exiting that way and I would have used doors in the top so it doesn't have to be lifted off to get easier access for feeding.

the light wont be mounted to the hood so taking the hood off wont be a prob also besides adding corals or fish I shouldnt need to get in the display, I will feed via the return pump in the sump. the open top and back are to aid in heat dispersal, it may not matter now or this winter but on those ocasions that temps sore itll be nice, I could even remove the hood without removing the lighting for added ventalation.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

Thank you Charles for the great work on my overflow box! I got my overflow instaled today. I went with a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead, and the T on the back is a 2 inch, Im only going to have abought 400 +/- gph going through the overflow and I know I coulda gon with a smaller bulkhead but I want to keep the noise down so Im hoping that there wont be the gergle sucksion noise since the pipe is so big. ( Oh my mind just went to a naughty place!)

post-110-14186774782_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867747821_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867747823_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867747824_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Thank's, and no I havent moved the pictures yet, without the GF's help, what I do with them will be wrong so I'd just better leave it till she tells me what to do with them. :)

Everything is going good, I got a blue clove polyp and GSP from Garett and since the move my BCP and my zenia have decided not to come out, Im getting a little woried cuz its been almost 5 days. Everything else hase opened up! I did all the tests and my KH was down to 7.4 and over the last day and a half ive raised it to 10.2 but they still arnt opening yet.

She said something when we first move'd it into place but has'nt since. She is quite amazed on how good the tank looks ( this whole thing is the first experiance with salt/reef tanks and she is really quite interested in the whole thing! ) that I dont think she even see's the pictures on the wall.