How big is too big?

Nate213

So I got the approval from my wife to go bigger and build an in-wall system. I want to start planning it out since it will be a long project and I want to do it right.

With just about everything there is some point where it just doesn't make sense to go bigger, better, ect, and the additional cost / effort become exponential. What is the tipping point on a reef tank? I would like to know from the experienced members on here what their opinions are on this. Im thinking that I would like to be in the 300-400 gallon range, but if a 300 gallon tank is going to cost say $10k more than a 250, then I would like to know that up front.

Also I'm not concerned as much with the upfront costs as the continuous costs and time requirements. Don't get me wrong, I know that any system takes time, but I don't want to have my life revolve around it (much more than it already does :D).

Well, the tank has a lot to do with the start up cost. 25" can usually be done in 1/2 inch glass, where 30" has to be 3/4. Much higher cost and 30" is not fun to reach the bottom (ask me how I know). The wider you can make the tank the more options you get with landscaping. My last tank was 30" wide and my current tank is 36". I much prefer the 36". Length will be limited by your wall to some extent, but getting larger than 8' is more costly. Also want to consider Starfire glass for viewing panel. I much prefer glass, but there are no custom makers in the area, so shipping would be costly. Other option is James at Envision Acrylics. One of the best in the country, just wish he did glass (did I mention I prefer glass?). So a 96"X36"X24" is around 360 gal. That would be a nice size. If you keep it this tall your cost is not that much higher for an extra 2 feet in length. If you go higher, your cost will go up considerably.

Other added cost would be a slightly larger skimmer (not much here) and one more light with pendant (again, not that much more). If you can put the tank in a basement and keep your lights high you can get by without a chiller (lumenbright reflectors are 16" bulb to water). That will save you in initial cost and monthly cost.

I am in Ridgefiled if you want to take a look at my system. Tank is 70X36X25. You might learn a trick or two.

Ken

• Like 1

I have a 280 gal. tank right now. My advice, big is nice, but the taller it is, the more painful it becomes. If you are going to go big, don't make the tank too tall. 36" in height (not width as noted above) is often challenging. I speak with experience. And Glass is the only way to go (imo).

Those are good points. I was planning on going wider rather than deep. I dont want to go snorkeling to reach the bottom. The tank would be going into our basement, so load is not an issue and I could get by with a smaller chiller. Our basement has been under 70 degrees all week.

I keep my basement AC at 78. My sump is in an storage room that is not AC (but underground level so natural cooler) and my tank has never gotten over 80 (no chiller). You should not need a chiller. Keep you lights open to air circulation and higher off the water and you will need to run the heater more than you think.

I agree wider is better and also longer is better. Dimensions of my tank are 120" long x 32" wide x 24" tall (400 gallon) and i'm really happy with those dimensions. I would have gone wider and longer but I was limited by space in width and cost in length. The cost of a 120" long tank vs a 144" long tank was approximately double because there is only one acrylic manufacturer that makes 144" long sheets. I had James(Envision Acrylics) make my tank and i'm so happy with the tank. James is so knowledgeable and very patient answering lots of questions.

I too prefer glass but shipping costs bump the price above acrylic substantially. If you aren't going over a certain length(72") a glass tank is definitely the way to go.

In my experience when you start to go over 300 gallons things become much more expensive because equipment is harder to come by and its just a much bigger chore.

If budget is not a big problem and you like the work than I would (as I did) get the biggest thing that will fit in the spot!

I have 120"x36"x24". The only thing I wish I could change is make it 48" wide. Other than that I love the length and the height is just right.

Best of luck.

As everyone has mentioned, wider is better :)

If I had a choice I would go with a 26-28" height, 120" long, 48" wide. That being said, You want to make sure that you have good access around all sides of the tank if you go with something wide. Plan to have 3-4 ft miniumum around the sides and the back of the tank. Also consider having the tank come out of the wall about 8-10". I have seen this done a couple of times and to me it is well worth it. You will be able to see a ton more that way.

Glass or Acrylic is all up to your budget and personal preference. I would go glass if at all possible but as mentioned above in a tank of this size you would be getting quite spendy. Acrylic is probably the way to go when it come down to it due to the fact that we have a great acrylic shop, it weight substantially less, and glass in this size would cost a ton more.

Also think about what you will need for lighting. I would think whether you go with a 36" wide tank or a 48" wide tank that you will need to run two rows of halides for every two feet of tank length. If you are running all t-5's, you will want a bulb for every 2-2.5 inches(probably 24x2 bulbs if you want a really well lit tank) and you will have to use either 2 sets of 4ft bulbs if you go 8ft or something along those lines if you go 10ft aswell. I would personally go halides with a few t-5s for supplimentation but remember that heat could become an issue, so you will need to probably have a 1hp-2hp chiller aswell. I would have one anyway for times like this last week.

All in all the tank will be your most expensive cost most likely. Also consider how much live rock and sand you will need for a tank of those dems. I would guess for a nice looking amount of rock you would need between 800-1200lbs. I would probably use mostly dry rock to cut down on the cost some and then use 100-200lbs of really nice live rock mixed in.

This is some really exciting stuff but remember to take your time and plan out every detail as much as possible. Builds like these always do better when they are thought through really well. Also remember that this will be expensive to do right. Make sure not to skimp in areas that you will regret later(like not getting a chiller on a tank that cost you $10-15K). Spend some time thinking it all through and ask lots of questions. Look at large builds on reefcentral to help give you good ideas and to lead you away from even uncommon or unthought of mistakes.

Good luck! We have some great members on here that have or have had large systems and their knowledge will help a ton!

Garrett

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm definately going to do my homework and plan it right. (Im a mechanical engineer by trade, so my wife claims I tend spend too much time researching and I occasionally over analyze things. :D)

The spot that Im planning is in my hobby room. Right now it is setup as my gun & re-loading room, but Im going to move most of that to the shop. I want to put it in the corner, so I can view one side from the adjacent bedroom and the front would be visable from our family room. Im going to measure the space to see what looks right, but Im not sure if 10' length will work. It will probably have to be 8'-9' to be centered on the wall. That would give me one full side and the back with plenty of access.

I have an alternate spot in mind, but it would involve moving our small built in wet bar. The plus to that is I would have easy access to the water and drain lines, but I wouldnt have as much space around the back of the tank, so I couldnt go as large. It would also be in direct line with the pool table, so I would have to put up some sliding doors to protect from flying balls. I can just imagine a wild shot shattering glass and dumping 300+ gallons of salt water into the basement.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm definately going to do my homework and plan it right. (Im a mechanical engineer by trade, so my wife claims I tend spend too much time researching and I occasionally over analyze things. :D)

The spot that Im planning is in my hobby room. Right now it is setup as my gun & re-loading room, but Im going to move most of that to the shop. I want to put it in the corner, so I can view one side from the adjacent bedroom and the front would be visable from our family room. Im going to measure the space to see what looks right, but Im not sure if 10' length will work. It will probably have to be 8'-9' to be centered on the wall. That would give me one full side and the back with plenty of access.

I have an alternate spot in mind, but it would involve moving our small built in wet bar. The plus to that is I would have easy access to the water and drain lines, but I wouldnt have as much space around the back of the tank, so I couldnt go as large. It would also be in direct line with the pool table, so I would have to put up some sliding doors to protect from flying balls. I can just imagine a wild shot shattering glass and dumping 300+ gallons of salt water into the basement.

Remember - saltwater tank = salt air = rust. I would keep that reloading room in a room hate to see those reloader presses rusty. JMO.

I have a small reloading room for that and also jewerly making. I make sure all the powder is off the table and stored away before I fire up the oxy-actel torch DOH!