Nate's 75 reef

Nate213

Well I have been snooping around on this forum for several months now and just realized that I havent posted my tank details. So here goes:

75 gallon AGA

29 gallon sump - seperated into three chambers refugium / return / skimmer

Current Outer Orbit Pro light fixture - 2x250 MH + 2x96 actinic

Flow is provided by return pump through a SCWD

Supplemental flow is from 2 MJ 1200s with Sure Flow kits

Octopus NW150 skimmer

I used a plastic wrapping paper container to hold RODI waters for top-offs - holds about 12 gallons.

Livestock:

3 Blue-Green Chromis

Midas Blenny

2 Ocellaris clowns (have started breeding frequently :D)

Redlip Blenny

Kole Tang

Pearly Jawfish

zebra goby

2 RBTA

Cleaner shrimp

Peppermint shrimp (currently banished to the sump because he eats Duncans)

3 Emerald crabs

Strawberry crab

12+ hermits

lots of margarita, astrea & nassarius snails

Full tank shot:

Full06-23-09.jpg

Left half:

Left06-23-09.jpg

Middle:

Middle06-23-09.jpg

Right half:

Right06-23-09.jpg

Sump:

Sump07-08-09.jpg

Yep Xenia definitely got out of control. I like the movement of Xenia, but I wish it didn't grow so dang fast. Here is a pic from other day. (The previous pictures were a couple of weeks ago.)

Im trying to slowly cut it back so that I only have it on the back wall. Now I have some Red Sea Xenia that is starting to take over. DOH! It was a hitch hiker on some zoas.

FTS07-08-09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great to me. Wish I had the problem of corals growing like crazy.

I'll bet if you ask Nate he will give you some of that Xenia next time he pulls some out. (He gave me a bunch a couple of weeks ago that I stuck into my sump) If you want something that grows fast then that will likely be it. The stuff I got from him has already separated from the stuff it was attached to and has attached itself to rock, glass, etc. with healthy new polyps. I even had one piece get sucked into my skimmer feed pump which munched away all of the polyps and it is growing twice as many new ones in their place. Another fast grower is GSP (Green Star Polyp). It looks like grass waving in the wind. Both of these are actually corals that some people refuse to have at all because they can be hard to keep under control.

I'll bet if you ask Nate he will give you some of that Xenia next time he pulls some out. (He gave me a bunch a couple of weeks ago that I stuck into my sump) If you want something that grows fast then that will likely be it. The stuff I got from him has already separated from the stuff it was attached to and has attached itself to rock' date=' glass, etc. with healthy new polyps. I even had one piece get sucked into my skimmer feed pump which munched away all of the polyps and it is growing twice as many new ones in their place. Another fast grower is GSP (Green Star Polyp). It looks like grass waving in the wind. Both of these are actually corals that some people refuse to have at all because they can be hard to keep under control.[/quote']

Grows fast indeed. These photos were taken back in November after the frag had already tripled in size. Since then I have probably thrown away 5-6 salad bowls full of Xenia.

11-04-08.jpg

IMG_8529.jpg

He actually gave me some.... One of the frags attached to a rock and the other one is still working on it.... and I love the look of GSPs

I'll be ready to frag my GSP in about a week if your interested. It finally started spreading onto the rock it's glued to a week or so ago and is showing good growth on a daily basis. Once there is a good sized chunk attached to the rock I plan to cut the original frag into 2 pieces. One for another spot in my tank and another to swap.

Your Midas Blenny is awesome. the only thing I hate about having an open top tank is limits on some fish I can keep. A midas or Blue Spot JF would be killer.

I think people underestimate the modded Maxi jets too. I could never go back to a Koralia pump. the modded Maxi's put out some serious flow. Nice choice.

Your Midas Blenny is awesome. the only thing I hate about having an open top tank is limits on some fish I can keep. A midas or Blue Spot JF would be killer.

I think people underestimate the modded Maxi jets too. I could never go back to a Koralia pump. the modded Maxi's put out some serious flow. Nice choice.

Yah, I like the Maxi-Jets. They were left over from my FW tanks, so I went the cheap route. They also work good with a wavemaker. The only problem is every once in a while I get a real noisy impeller.

I run an open top tank. So far no fish jerky, although I have found my zebra goby on the floor once and put him back in. And my dang clownfish jumps out everytime I have the light off. Mean little bugger is always trying to bite me.

Here are some more Midas photos. My jawfish and Midas are my favorite fish. So much personality.

MidasGoby.jpg

Midas.jpg

FishTank04-2009-21.jpg

Rick - Im sure it will' date=' your tank has had much better start than mine. Hows that Galaxea that I gave you?[/quote']

It ended up being part of the deal I made on selling my Nano tank. I threw a few corals into the deal and it was one of them. As to how it was doing up until then it was never happy in the quarantine tank because of the light. Once I moved it into the Nano tank with a little better light it perked back up and was extending tentacles out a couple of inches.

I see some growth in my tank indicating it is coming around. Nothing like what yours is showing yet though. The GSP is growing enough to see new growth every day, a couple of digis that looked like they were goners have turned back around and the polyps are coming back. An acropora I put in a couple of weeks ago is still bright, one that was almost completely dead is hanging on although I still don't think it will make it. (about 1/4" of 2 or 3 tips is still alive which is how it has been for a couple weeks) the chaeto seems to have exploded through the heat wave (Enough that it is clogging the skimmer feed pump with pieces going over the top of the baffle so I have to clean it daily), the Halimeda has new shoots coming out of the sand, etc. Even in the new tank the Halimeda was showing immediate growth (a couple of 3" or so shoots in just 2 days) however it was started up with stuff from the big one which should give it similar growth initially anyway I think. (Half of the sand, water, and most of the LR came from it)