Stocking ideas for a 40g

theJenchild

So the planning has begun! I am upgrading to a new tank at the end of this week and I'm starting to figure out what I want. The lighting is a 150w HQI with 2 VHOs on the sides (I think). I would eventually like to upgrade that to a 250w HQI. Since there will be more space, I'd like to add a few more fish than I currently have. Here's my concept so far, any other ideas for or concerns? Things I haven't thought of?

Fish:

2 false percs (transfer from current tank)

1 LMB (transfer from current tank)

flame hawk fish

yellow watchman goby

inverts:

CUC (hermits and various snails-astrea, cerith, nass)

emerald crab?

sand sifting star

squasmosa clam (someday in the distant future)

cleaner shrimp

2 peppermint shrimps

Corals:

Loads of zoas

ricordea

mushrooms

palys

fungia

frogspawn (I'm gonna want lots)

some type of SPS, not sure what yet.....

a small yellow wrasse would be a nice addition. Maybe a small flame angel or potters angel. Firefish are fun to watch also in a set of 3 or so.(TANG POLICE= he went that way------------>) Now that they're gone, if you picked up a very small tang like a blue hippo it would be nice in there also. Of course you don't want to add all of them but some good fish to choose from. Watch the lawnmower and the watchman, lawnmowers tend to be mean to fish like them. Even though they do look different they can still have problems. CA2OR had one and got a diamond goby(same as watchman but white kinda) and the lawnmower killed him in no time.

A sand sifting star in a 40g will eat all the food quickly. Might want to re-think that addition. Just my $.02

The star is already in there, but can be removed when I bring the tank home. Will also have a yellow tailed damsel that someone can have that's coming with the tank.

I'd LOVE to have a little tang, but I don't want to be cruel to any fish. I worry about the space and what to do with it when it gets too big. The firefish sounds really cool though! Thanks for the ideas guys!

Woody at Seahorse has(or HAD) some little baby blue(size not color) tangs that are about 1" or so long.He said they most likely would die of old age before they became large enough to out grow a 30 or 40 gal tank. Don't shoot the messenger here if you don't agree, I'm just repeating what I was told.:D

Woody at Seahorse has(or HAD) some little baby blue(size not color) tangs that are about 1" or so long.He said they most likely would die of old age before they became large enough to out grow a 30 or 40 gal tank. Don't shoot the messenger here if you don't agree' date=' I'm just repeating what I was told.:D[/quote']

Now that would be stinkin cool. Would it get along with my clowns?

Woody at Seahorse has(or HAD) some little baby blue(size not color) tangs that are about 1" or so long.He said they most likely would die of old age before they became large enough to out grow a 30 or 40 gal tank. Don't shoot the messenger here if you don't agree' date=' I'm just repeating what I was told.:D[/quote']

How long ago was it that you saw the blue hippo tangs?? I bought the two he had early last week.... unless he got some more he doesn't have any right now. They get along great with my clowns!

How long ago was it that you saw the blue hippo tangs?? I bought the two he had early last week.... unless he got some more he doesn't have any right now. They get along great with my clowns!

Opps better update my reply to HAD.Yes that was a couple weeks ago,they sure are cute little suckers.

Yes, an update on the tangs would be great! Id love one to if there that small!

now back to the question, I've always liked the 4 or 6 line wras, if ya have the $ a helfrichi fire fish, stay away from the cromis's, every one ive had were to stupid to stay in the display tank! Always ended up in the sump

Yes, an update on the tangs would be great! Id love one to if there that small!

now back to the question, I've always liked the 4 or 6 line wras, if ya have the $ a helfrichi fire fish, stay away from the cromis's, every one ive had were to stupid to stay in the display tank! Always ended up in the sump

How I would love a helfichi fire fish....unfortunately I also like to be able to grocery shop, pay my car payment, and rent all in the same month as maintaining my tank. Super expensive fish aren't in the plans....just my dreams. ;)

Opps better update my reply to HAD.Yes that was a couple weeks ago' date='they sure are cute little suckers.[/quote']

Yes they are very cute little suckers... thats why I had to get them both!! (clap) even tough I didn't really need two... the pair is adorable swimming together!

For a long time seahorse had a blue hippo tang in a 5 gallon(I think). It was probably as small as a dime when it went in. The last time I remember seeing it he was maybe the size of a quarter. I want to say it was in there for 2 years+ maybe... This has been a while ago but the point is if the tang is small enough I don't think it is cruel unless you don't move him to a bigger tank when he does get bigger. I think as long as it is around quarter size you would be fine.

I dont think it cruel eather, if its cruel to do that to a tang, wouldnt it be to do to any fish swimming in the ocean? sure there comes a point that the hippo couldnt live in a 5 gall and ya would halfto upgrade tanks but while its small why not?

For a long time seahorse had a blue hippo tang in a 5 gallon(I think). It was probably as small as a dime when it went in. The last time I remember seeing it he was maybe the size of a quarter. I want to say it was in there for 2 years+ maybe... This has been a while ago but the point is if the tang is small enough I don't think it is cruel unless you don't move him to a bigger tank when he does get bigger. I think as long as it is around quarter size you would be fine.

That's really good logic. I guess I had just always heard that tangs belong in tanks larger than 75 gallons. Granted I had never considered a baby....plus a growing fish is a grand excuse to upgrade.

On the note of upgrading.....looks like I finally got the S**T end of my poor QT practices (or non practices as the case may be). Seems that I've got a case of zoa eating nudis in my 15g cube. Thankfully I'll be getting the new tank at the end of this week and can turn the cube into a QT tank for any new critters. Currently in the process of FW dips, will add iodine if necessary, but I've heard that RO alone should do the job. Any thoughts on this?

I have a blue tang in a 90g that I got as a baby (1") that was about 6 months ago and he's pushing 3" now. They grow quick.

They may have a slower growth rate in smaller aquariums but I think a lightly aquascaped 40 breeder would be the smallest tank I'd consider keeping one in for more than a year.

@ the rate mine is growing, I will have to find a bigger tank for him in about a year and a half.