Kick ich?

gradth

http://www.petstore.com/ps_ViewItem-idproduct-RR1111-tab-4.html

Anyone tried this with any success?

Just curious, lost 2 tangs to ich. My Kole has signs and im worried about my hippo. i have tried with no success to get them out of my tank into treatment but hiding in 180lbs of rock is proving hard.

I use garlic with my food, I have used marine max. neither seem to be getting worse, but the kole still appears to have spots.

Im more fustrated at the fact that I even have a problem since all fish were properly qt'd and im not really sure as to why I got it.

Thanks in advance.

I used it once with no results. I wouldn't waste the money on it. Getting them out of the tank and putting them in a qt for a least a month with some copper in the water will be the best thing from my ich experience. I still get some signs of ich in my DT once in a while but it never gets bad enough to be an issue. Just keep your tank healthy and your tangs fed well and they wont get ich as easily in the future

1) Bump temperature up to 82-83 degrees.

2) If you are running UV, make sure your bulb is not too old.

3) You can try STOP PARASITE...had no luck with Kick Ich.

4) Step up water changes.

5) Heavy garlic/vitamin C.

Ich is in your tank AT ALL TIMES...stress, in whatever form, causes decrease in fish's immunity and an increase in ich takeover. Double check every water parameter to make sure you aren't missing something with their husbandry.(scary)

DrMerle

• Like 1

I think all Kick-Ich does is turn your water brown and kill some xenia. Probably the best advice is to get a UV sterilizer and don't try to get them out of the tank. This only causes more stress and makes it worse. Some will say to get all fish out and leave the DT fallow for 6 weeks. I don't believe that is necessary. My Purple Tang looked like he had been dipped in sugar:

3526844642_7431a5fd58_o.jpg

He looked like this for about 2 weeks. I left him in the DT and he pretty much parked himself in front of a Koralia, I assume to keep water flowing over his gills. In the 2+ weeks he had this, none of my other fish came down with it, or have since. Keep adding garlic to their food, (it will be good for everyone). Try rubbing the garlic on some nouri and putting it on a clip. I was told that as long as they're eating and swimming ok, they should get over it. At least this advice worked for me.

Good luck

Dont take them out of the tank.

Don’t take the out of the tank. In my experience they stress out and in most case for me I have lost them.

Get cleaner shrimps and get about 4 if you can. I had the problem a few times. So I did some reading and cleaner shrimps and some Neon Goby and I never had a problem again.

Here is a like for you to check out the fish. I never have a system without one.

Wish you and your fish the best. (scary)

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=248&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

I think all Kick-Ich does is turn your water brown and kill some xenia. Probably the best advice is to get a UV sterilizer and don't try to get them out of the tank. This only causes more stress and makes it worse. Some will say to get all fish out and leave the DT fallow for 6 weeks. I don't believe that is necessary. My Purple Tang looked like he had been dipped in sugar:

3526844642_7431a5fd58_o.jpg

He looked like this for about 2 weeks. I left him in the DT and he pretty much parked himself in front of a Koralia, I assume to keep water flowing over his gills. In the 2+ weeks he had this, none of my other fish came down with it, or have since. Keep adding garlic to their food, (it will be good for everyone). Try rubbing the garlic on some nouri and putting it on a clip. I was told that as long as they're eating and swimming ok, they should get over it. At least this advice worked for me.

Good luck

oh no....that pic is horrible. I hope I don't encounter that(scary). I love my PT. Sorry to see this.

Remove him to quaranteen tank. Get a fish trap to catch them. Vacume the quaranteen tank to remove the parasites that have left the fish. They will attatch themselves to anything on the bottom of the tank and then secrete something that glues them in place on the bottom till they finish this stage of the life cycle ( 2 weeks from what I remember ) then they will leave the bottom and look for a host and then repeat the life cycle. It helps to vacume the QT tank when you do the waterchanges every couple days. It also helps to give fresh water dips to the fish. This will make the parasite drop off the fish.

Read all about the entire procedure at wetwebmedia.com

This is the best page I have found about dealing with ick.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichart2mar.htm

In my opinion all these treatments you can buy for ick that treat the fish without removing them from the display tank do not work. The parasite must run its course in the display tank without any fish in it. You can help its speed by raising the temp and lowering the salt in the water but all those kick ick/ marine max and the like are just snake oil IMO. Garlick will help with the prevention some. Get the garlic extract. Anyway....read the webpage and I hope you beat the parasite without loosing anymore fish. Right now is a frustrating time for you but remember....you are learning much through this time and this will help keep you parasite free after this beaten. Dont give up....you will win.

Jay

I used it once with no results. I wouldn't waste the money on it. Getting them out of the tank and putting them in a qt for a least a month with some copper in the water will be the best thing from my ich experience. I still get some signs of ich in my DT once in a while but it never gets bad enough to be an issue. Just keep your tank healthy and your tangs fed well and they wont get ich as easily in the future

This is what I had to do to get rid of the Ick epidemic I had! But it came down to A fish that shoulda been a nice guy was a a$$ at night and stressed all the fish into Ick. I fixed the prob. and it fixed the Ick!

Hyposalinity- (if you have a QT tank). Google it and you will find tons of articles. It is much safer than copper. I hypo all my new fish additions in quarantine, since I had ick in my DT over a year ago. Major pain in the ***, but you should remove all the fish and and place into QT and start the hypo process. Takes about 6-weeks if you do it properly. By then the life cycle of the ick in the DT has passed and without any hosts, they all die. I have never lost a fish to hypo.

It has been my experience that otherwise healthy fish will beat mild cases of ich on their own. At differant times I have had fish with ich and I have always left them in the DT and they usually look better in a few days and no other fish have ever gotten it. I would strongly agree with those that have said leave the fish alone so you dont cause more stress, make sure you have cleaner shrimp and make sure your parameters are good.

So many opinions. I have read up on all methods, done both in the past. Ich in a healthy tank, ich in a qt tank. Uck. Well both seem to be doing fine and still eating very well.

I aquired a fish trap for a bit from Patrick at fantaseas to remove my pesky wrasse. And after a day of just leaving the trap in there I got the bugger. So maybe I will just keep an eye on them for a day or two and see if they get better or worse. I would rather not stress them out and move them again. My hippo has been through numerous moves over the last year do to ich, tank upgrades, marine velvet, you name it. If she starts showing any signs I will pull her and medicate.

I was more curious about the kick ich anyway. Read a bunch of good and bad reviews, just wanted to see if anyone local had any experience with it.

Thanks for the info folks. Most helpful as usual.

Just finished a nasty blow up of ich...lost a powder blue tang, a Potter's angelfish, a red sea naso, an algae blenny, a yellow tang...survivors--a hippo!!!, my big Sohal tang, a purple tang and maroon clown...everybody in the tank got covered EXCEPT purple tang and maroon clown --those 2 fish experienced the worst PLAGUE of ich and bacteria death in my "new" tank 5 years ago. Those 2 fish barely survived 5 years ago but did...only survivors...no lesions at all this time while every other fish got crushed...

That proves immunity plays a big rule in ich breakout and disease.(clap)

DrMerle