Help with Pics IE 8

Smann

I installed the update with Internet Explorer 8 and now I can't see thumbnail pics, I can see other posted pics. I'm sure its a setting I've looked a little with no luck. Anyone know the fix, I dont feel like screwing around for the next 4 hrs trying to find it

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Andy may be right. Or at least the fix for seeing the pics stored on the Forum server may be Firefox. I searched for quite some time trying to find what is causing this and then installed Firefox. Not knowing the cause I couldn't say whether this is an IE8 issue or a server issue. I would lean towards the latter since this is the only place I see this happening. I think this may be a case where the scripting on the server has an error that up until now both browsers have ignored. (People would be surprised how often this occurs) It's a shame because I have to have Firefox installed just for this forum. (I don't use it anywhere else) That speaks volumes for the forum itself since it is the first time in several years that I've installed a Mozilla Browser. (As I recall it was Netscape 2 or 3 the last time and it was to check a website compatibility issue for a website I was administering)

Don't get me started on what a non-compliant, proprietary piece of junk IE is. It causes more problems than you could ever imagine. There is a special circle of Hell for the developers of IE.

Now Chrome... there's a browser with some potential. Hopefully we'll see a plug-in architecture for it someday soon.

can you link to a page that isn't displaying properly for you?

nevermind, i see what you are talking about, rick's damsel in the potm thread

did the same thing for me

I cant find them now, one was the Hood Build, I think its just when we post the "thumbnails" the other pics show up fine

Yes thats It, POTM, but some also have black "X's" not the red ones

can you link to a page that isn't displaying properly for you?

nevermind, i see what you are talking about, rick's damsel in the potm thread did the same thing for me

Any page with pictures uploaded to the forum rather than stored on a different server elsewhere. The very first picture in this thread http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12640 fails to display using IE8 while the second one which is stored off site does display. This leads me to believe the lack of a file extension for forum stored images is causing this.

Any page with pictures uploaded to the forum rather than stored on a different server elsewhere. The very first picture in this thread http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12640 fails to display using IE8 while the second one which is stored off site does display. This leads me to believe the lack of a file extension for forum stored images is causing this.

Yeah i found that and edited my post right after asking my question :)

all i can find is stuff on visual search display and some changes to tabbed browsing, none of which seem to have anything to do with this issue, but my totally unscientific study of trying every browser I have concludes it is definitely IE8

I agree with most here. Although I have a bit more faith or better experience with IE than most here. Firefox will most likely be the easiest fix. If you want PM me and I can extend some further assistance with this and most likely get your issue resolved.

unless it is for space reasons, just delete the shortcuts and soon you will forget it was ever there. as long as you don't get it wet or feed it after midnight, it can't do anything to you.

I've sent a PM to a board admin to see if we can't get this fixed the right way. (Assuming the information in the link above is correct) If so then it will not matter which browser is used and the ongoing browser wars can be fought elsewhere. (Personally I have no use for them)

You can't beat Firefox especially with all the add-ons you can get with it. Xmarks is a must have if you have multiple computer as it syncs your bookmarks across all pc's. I also have Google Extreme which makes Firefox look like Google Chrome. The add-on catalog is what sold me on FF.

I'm now running the release candidate of Firefox 3.5 and it's awesome.

I use Delicious instead of Xmarks (it supports bookmark tagging which is really useful if you are a packrat like me). Other favorites of mine are Adblock Plus, Exif Viewer, Firebug, Forecastbar, IE Tab (/spit), Mouse Gestures and Wikipedia Lookup. I'll have to check out Google Extreme, sounds like fun :-)

Oh crabs....

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh) I love it! A cuss word just for reefers. (clap)

The fix for IE8 is Firefox.

Amen to that. I loathe IE. (flame) Whenever time I think I've found everything I don't like about it, they come up with something new! It's like an endless journey of discovery... always a fresh frustration just around the corner.