Help with Pics IE 8

Smann

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so this Firefox seems to work fine, I'll be the first to admit its hard to change one ways or try new things.

But I have to draw the line here, I'm not going to start wearing a beret or reading the Portland Tribune :D

It is kind of funny to hear that people are bashing IE8 and that Firefox is the fix. IE8 is actually now a Standard Based Browser, just like Firefox.

The problem you will be seeing for a period of time is the code, not the browser. The problem is that people have been coding "work arounds" for IE for years because it has not been a standards based browser. Now that the internet standards have matured to the point they are, Microsoft has decided to jump on the Standards band wagon. By doing this, when sites are coded to look for IE they act differently. Since IE8 does not respond the way it's previous versions did, it often messes with the formatting.

So, before you go install another browser, try the following:

- To the right of the URL there is a button that looks like a piece of paper ripped in half. This is a compatibility mode button. This is made for the sites that have been coded poorly and do not look for a specific version of IE. It will make IE8 act like IE7 and format the screen properly.

Now, having said this, I have done extensive testing on this site with IE8 well before it was released to the public. If you come across anything that is not formatted properly, please let me know so that I can correct it.

Thanks,

Rob

Dunno why you find it funny. It's the truth. Microsoft is late to the party not because they were concerned that standards weren't mature enough but because *they* wanted to define the standards -- in their own favor, and to the detriment of the competition. Big difference there. They've continued to lose browser share over the years, so now they're finally reacting. Unfortunately for them, they've got a lot of catching up to do... both in features and in reputation.

The only problem I have is post that use the thumbnails for their pictures have a text box where the pic should be. Pictures that are loaded from photobucket show up just fine

Go to Members Tanks then the first "some pictures of my tank.... TAD

The only problem I have is post that use the thumbnails for their pictures have a text box where the pic should be. Pictures that are loaded from photobucket show up just fine

Go to Members Tanks then the first "some pictures of my tank.... TAD

Same problem. Not worth reinstalling FF. Used it for years, but prefer IE.

Some one mentioned chrome before, I used it, it horked up everything and caused me hours of headache.

The problem you will be seeing for a period of time is the code, not the browser. The problem is that people have been coding "work arounds" for IE for years because it has not been a standards based browser. ............

Thanks,

Rob

Sorry Rob, that is not the case here. The issue at hand is the code on the site but not because of a work around. Is is actually a mime setting in the forum settings that is wrong. Compatibility setting in the browser doesn't correct it.

Again Andy, the facts astound me, good references too.

Has anyone come up with a fix for IE8 yet? I really don't want to install another browser just to view this webpage.

I'm pretty sure the fix is to correct the mime setting in the forum settings linked to earlier in the thread. I sent a PM off but haven't heard back on it yet so I assume whoever is responsible for it here either hasn't seen it yet or has decided that those of us that prefer IE8 don't need to see the pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Just uninstal IE8. Several portions of my work site don't work with IE8 but do just fine with IE7. When I first joined this forum I also had IE8. I could not see most pics, even the pics I uploaded. Uninstalled IE8 and everything is groovy.

I was just kinda hoping it would get fixed. I am a member of other forums with this same format and they work fine.

If there is no intention of fixing it then fine, but its been a problem for a while now and there is no response from the forum folks. Just like to know if it is even being worked on.

Yes it would be nice for it to be fixed rather than having to downgrade to an older version. My intention of the post was just a quick fix and not to be rude. Sorry if it came over that way.

Not at all, sorry if I seemed that way. Just been an issue for a while and it just seems to be ignored.

Ca2OR, if you have a fix, post it for us that cant please.

well I am not sure what is different in your systems vs mine. I am running vista ultimate 32bit, completely updated sp3 and so on. I have updated flash and java. I keep all applications up to date. I can remote in and take a look at the systems with problems if that would help. My advice would be to verify all apps and windows is up to date with both critical and all other updates.