Price Mark Up!@#$%^&

Frank

Your track record here has been impressive and your rep proves it. Sad thing is I haven't even dinged you, so that beautiful little red square you have came from others. If you did ever prove your lineage you sure didn't put it here for us to see.(scratch). One more thing, I never said you didn't have nice corals because you do, it is just your attitude that drives me away.

Sorry, I said I was done and I am.

• Like 1

I'm going to shut this one down, but in closing I'll just say. For those that know me, I'm a really good guy. And most will tell you that I have a great attitude until I have confrontational issues with the like of liars, cheaters, thief's, or troublemakers. The likes of some, which I have seen on this thread tonight. If I have seemed on the defensive, I have been. I'm tired of a select few of which have never even met me and yet want to discredit my business, namesake, and reputation. If the shoe were on the other foot I'm sure you would have been defensive too. I turned my cheek a few times in the beginning and you kept slapping. So anyway, goodnight sweet dreams, and God bless you all. Even you Ca2or!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary this evening and I had posted this before dinner....wow....didn't expect this!

This thread was started after another thread about supporting your LFS. If you guy's want the hobby to stay alive...yes....everyone needs to support the LFS's. The topic of this thread was to remind everyone to shop around and to let the LFS's know we are doing just that so that prices are comparable and affordable. An example of why shopping around was provided and Yes.. a store owner can place any amount on their goods/services....but, if the price is outrageous compared to competitor pricing why would "us" consumers buy.

This thread was NOT the result of a LFS complaining or whining....just the opposite in fact. I was price shopping because I thought the fish were unique looking and wanted to check pricing. As a potential customer for any item I am interested in I will do this. Most people do. This post was also NOT directed at anyone nor meant to be a personal insult regarding my opinion of their "sale" items. It was just that....my opinion. Again....just a reminder that we ALL need to shop around in an effort to obtain goods at a reasonable cost but still showing our financial support to our local fish stores.

Supporting your LFS is a good thing however there is nothing that says we need to support every LFS. (Though I try to support the ones that provide the best deals both in service and price) Here are some things that I note when I enter an LFS and do business with them.

1: Are they too good to actually take time to sell me an item? If they don't take a few moments to see if I have any questions or seem to be unavailable then I'll shop elsewhere.

2: Do they seem to know what they are talking about? If they give me bad information then I'll go elsewhere. I would rather them tell me they don't know than to steer me wrong.

3: Are they willing to work a deal with me? Especially if I buy multiple items. I'm always looking for a better deal which for me is part of the shopping experience. If a store refuses to even try to work with me on prices then I'll go elsewhere. To me it either means they are too greedy or their markup is too low to stay in business. Rule of thumb is 100% markup or 50% profit (or whatever the market will bear over that). That usually leaves at least a little room to deal.

4: Are their prices competive with others locally? If not then I'll go elsewhere. I don't particularly care if they make a 100% profit or a 1000% profit as long as it is still competitive.

5: Do they bull**** me (Used car salesman tactics) to try to get me to buy from them? Example: I recently had an LFS refuse to work any kind of deal and the reason given was that the prices were already lower than any other LFS and I was told that most of the local LFS bought their XXX items from him. I've since found out that neither was true. I.E. Similar items could be found for less and while some of the XXX items they sell come from him more often than not they do not.

6: Does it look like the livestock is cared for? (Clean tanks, healthy fish, etc.) I.E. What is my first impression. I'll give a little latitude here depending upon the situation. I.E. One I know is currently remodeling and another is still trying to work out the kinks of just getting the doors open.

7: Do they show an interest in what I'm doing? I.E. If I comment that I just set up a new tank do they inquire as to how big it is or how long it's been set up? If I show an interest in one fish do they offer information about it or even suggest similar fish as well?

8: Do they have a good selection on hand? (Both higher end and budget items)

9: Anything else that I may have missed but essentially was my experience positive and did I feel like I got a fair deal.

Seldom does an LFS score a perfect 10 in every area however the more areas that come out high the more likely I am to return. So far there are only 2 LFS that I will probably not return to and in both cases it has to deal with them portrayibng a feeling that they don't really care if I shop there or not. One for refusing to work any kind of deal (which came across as greed to me) and the other because they put forth an attitude that it was too much of a bother to try to sell anything to me. If they can stay in business this way then more power to them. The only unfortunate thing is that when items are overpriced from greed and the business still thrives it often ends up driving the prices up elsewhere. Remember that we are the customer and to some extent we are able to set our own prices collectively as a group. (If we refuse to shop where the items are overpriced then the prices will either drop or the doors will close, if we continue to shop where the items are overpriced then the prices will eventually rise elsewhere)

For any LFS reading this I hope you take it for what it is worth. While I am only one person I believe that many others are looking for similar shopping experiences so it may be food for thought.

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary this evening .......

Congratulations. Which anniversary is it? I hope you have at least as long and as happy of a marriage as I have had so far. If you've already had a longer happier marraige then I hope to be able to match it.

Wow. I'm not even gonna read all of this thread since I can pretty much tell how it went looking at page 1 and page 11.

Perry is free to charge what he wants. Why do people continue to call him out? Cuz he has higher prices? So what!?!?!? Its very apparent Perry takes very good care of his corals. Its clear he tries to give the consumer a piece of livestock that will thrive. If he takes these precautions before even letting the coral/fish leave his store, and it drives the price up a bit, don't buy it if its out of your budget. Obviously he is successful for a reason: you get something from him its going to thrive. That alone is worth a bit more $ IMO.

And just for the record I haven't purchased anything from Perry. I'm speaking from a neutral standpoint.

Here is what I see any company using to establish its prices.

1) Inital cost - Purchase, and shipping

2) Cost of Holding item - What it cost until it sells (Food, space, rent, life support, etc)

3) Market value - High demand will raise this, high supply will lower this

4) Replacement Cost - How many did you have to buy to sell the ones you sold, or fast changes in inital cost

5) Advertising - Each item is responcible for a portion of the advertising costs.

6) Labor - Often the highest individual cost, both before and after a sale

7) Profit - A buisness can only expand and sustain if they are profitable.

That being said. If you think something is marked to high, make an offer. A reasonable one. Dont be insulting. Worst they can say is "No." Especially when the economy is like this.

Further, price shouldn't be the only thing someone uses in buying an item. For example, if an item cost more at store A then store B, ask yourself, "Why?".

Does store B, give a [language filter] about you after the sale? Or do they say "All sales are final". Yes, you have to pay for labor after the sale too.

Does store A, have higher quality items then store B? (This isn't always obvious on like fish, corals, etc., that cant have a branded label on them)

Eliminate one of the factors above, and you may be able to lower the price. For example. You want a Black Tang? There what $300-$500 bucks right? Eliminate part of the "Cost of holding item" by prepaying for it, and picking it up when it as soon as it comes in. You will probably see a lower price. When someone asks me for a price quote, I generally tell them two prices. A prepaid one, and one if I have to stock it.

Here are a few of my duncans. I have many vareities and colors and sizes to choose from. None are dull brown in color like some I have seen. I have some which have smaller more robust polyps, and I have some which have longer whisker type polyps. come on in and take a looksie. As long as there in stock...$15 per polyp or like the special for Saturday get one polyp free for every $50 purchase.

dun1.JPG

dun2.JPG

dun3.JPG

I am not a duncan fan, but after seeing these I would entertain the thought of having a few in my tank...15.00 is it? SNAP!...NICE PRICE for a great coral.

Wow. I'm not even gonna read all of this thread since I can pretty much tell how it went looking at page 1 and page 11.

Perry is free to charge what he wants. Why do people continue to call him out? Cuz he has higher prices? So what!?!?!? Its very apparent Perry takes very good care of his corals. Its clear he tries to give the consumer a piece of livestock that will thrive. If he takes these precautions before even letting the coral/fish leave his store, and it drives the price up a bit, don't buy it if its out of your budget. Obviously he is successful for a reason: you get something from him its going to thrive. That alone is worth a bit more $ IMO.

And just for the record I haven't purchased anything from Perry. I'm speaking from a neutral standpoint.

I completely agree with your post.I have done buisness with Perry and had nothing but good experiences with him and his shop.I personally have started a thread about his shop where I did say I thought it was a little pricey but as you have stated his corals are exceptional in my opinion and that is worth a little more money.Lets face it if you dont like somebodys price dont buy it,nobody is forcing anybody to do anything after all it's only "being raped" if you pay unwillingly.

Wow what a worthless thread :( Over 100 post of blah blah crap.

If I was a LFS I would pull all of my sponsorships of this site. It aint worth the advertising to put up with this crap.

This post was not about OIAB…The topic of this thread was the mark up on goods/services and that a deal is not always a deal. It was to remind everyone to shop around and to let the LFS's know we are doing just that so that prices are comparable and affordable. An example of why shopping around was provided and yes, store owners can place any amount on their goods/services....but, if the price is outrageous compared to competitor pricing why would "us" consumers buy... To me a store has every right to mark up prices as high as they want and I have the right to shop there or not . If they are too high I will not shop there and find the store with the better price. I will also let other customers know that there are stores out there with better pricing. This thread was NEVER an attack on anyone. I have never met Perry or been to OIAB but I thought to maybe someday go out there.. But after putting up this post there are some things that just don’t sit well with me…

Now this only my opinion but once you take or the responsibility of being a retail store you need to think before you write now please let me explain: There are a lot of things on this post that to me a retail store should have never said like telling someone that they are “talking out the @$$” and “that I am documenting every complaint and every thread. If I continue to have customers that come into my shop and tells me Joe blow fish store said this about you, it won’t be pretty. I’m tired of allthis BS. We'll call your place "Perry's fish store" and simply call it expansion 101. You know who you are and you best shut your traps.” And “If not, then @#@# me!!!!!!!” now on the other hand lot of people have posted thing on the tread that I don’t feel was right or needed to be said but there is the big difference the people are not representing a business and they have nothing to worry about as a business owner. I would hope that one would take the higher road and rise above. Yes everyone has the right to defend themselves if they felt it was directed as a “jab” at them but as a business owner I would think it should be done in a manner that is more dignified and politically correct not outright rude and obnoxious. If I was a business owner I would not want this type of image portrayed for my business. Just my opinion though.

This post was not about OIAB…The topic of this thread was the mark up on goods/services and that a deal is not always a deal. It was to remind everyone to shop around and to let the LFS's know we are doing just that so that prices are comparable and affordable. An example of why shopping around was provided and yes, store owners can place any amount on their goods/services....but, if the price is outrageous compared to competitor pricing why would "us" consumers buy... To me a store has every right to mark up prices as high as they want and I have the right to shop there or not . If they are too high I will not shop there and find the store with the better price. I will also let other customers know that there are stores out there with better pricing. This thread was NEVER an attack on anyone. I have never met Perry or been to OIAB but I thought to maybe someday go out there.. But after putting up this post there are some things that just don’t sit well with me…

Now this only my opinion but once you take or the responsibility of being a retail store you need to think before you write now please let me explain: There are a lot of things on this post that to me a retail store should have never said like telling someone that they are “talking out the @$$” and “that I am documenting every complaint and every thread. If I continue to have customers that come into my shop and tells me Joe blow fish store said this about you, it won’t be pretty. I’m tired of allthis BS. We'll call your place "Perry's fish store" and simply call it expansion 101. You know who you are and you best shut your traps.” And “If not, then @#@# me!!!!!!!” now on the other hand lot of people have posted thing on the tread that I don’t feel was right or needed to be said but there is the big difference the people are not representing a business and they have nothing to worry about as a business owner. I would hope that one would take the higher road and rise above. Yes everyone has the right to defend themselves if they felt it was directed as a “jab” at them but as a business owner I would think it should be done in a manner that is more dignified and politically correct not outright rude and obnoxious. If I was a business owner I would not want this type of image portrayed for my business. Just my opinion though.

I always find it funny that people expect business owners to just kiss there a$$. That is ridiculous. Just remember competitive pricing when ya go buy another $200 chalice :)

This is my last post on this thread. Frank, you know as well as I do that this thread was solely about me. Both fish you refrenced were fish I am either selling or have sold. The goby, and the frogfish. So dont beat around the bush or poke your head out from under a rock and say it isnt so. You didnt have to say OIAB. You "quoted" my thread title "HTF Goby" and mentioned pricing. What you failed to mention is that the price of $129 was for a "SHIPPED" fish. Do you know what it costs to ship a fish anywhere USA? Local pick up would have gotten a much better deal as no s/h would have been involved. But rather than you asking me what the price for local pick up would be, you took the words from another LFS and then proceeded to blast it on here as though I am ripping someone off. You thought you would stir up a pile if crap and thats exactly what you have done. I applaude your efforts. They were extreamly effective.

Last Post Last Post Last Post Last Post Last Post Last Post

I posted over (3) times trying to bring this thread back to the original topic. Just because your "sale" item was mentioned it was for "reference" only. ANY store COULD have been references but YOU just happened to have an item that in "MY OPINION" was overpriced and as such I used it for an example of reasons to shop around. YOU have bashed many "potential" customers for your business and only have YOURSELF to blame for any negative feedback from YOUR posts. It is too bad that YOU chose to make this a personal attack upon you and your business. If you want to applaud someone applaud yourself for creating such a great character reference for us "potential" customers to take into consideration before placing our business with you. SOMETIMES it's not all about you it's about us hobbiest trying to look out for each other.

I don't really get this one either, so I guess I'm on a roll today. :)

So, LFS#1 gets a fish at a local wholesaler and marks it above what other LFS's would sell it for? Then other LFS's say they can get you a better price?

Get it from the other LFS's then.

Perry has the time/resources to sell through Ebay and his website. He is also in tune with what sells and he has good supply sources. It shouldn't be a surprise that if he gets a rare fish that he can sell it for more than other LFS's. If someone local wants the fish, you can still get the fish from him if your willing to pay the price. If not, get it elsewhere and let someone else pay the price.

I can attest to Franks reputation, he's a pretty darn nice guy and would give you the shirt off of his back. I think his post is valid as he's venting but some OT posts took the thread off track.

Frank, you should stop by and talk to Perry sometime. He's not too shabby of a guy either. :)

This thread needs to die. John, the point here isnt that I sell a fish or a coral for any price, it's that I sell them period. The price of the fish is not out of line with what any other place local or internet would sell the fish for. I heard one supplier say if he bought the fish and marked it up three times thats what he would sell it for. If they took this fish and marked it up 3 x's the price would be higher than my asking price. Im a coral guy and just now branching into some higher caliber fish. Like I said, theres not a website out there that sells the fish cheaper so I do not have any guilty conscious about this. It was a more than fair asking price and if it sells on ebay with its $99+s/h starting bid then obviously the public thinks so too! Lets let this thread die, it has no further purpose.

So I have spent the majority of the day today reflecting on my posts and actions in this thread and I want to extend apologies to everyone for how I was acting. I pretty much showed an exact image of the traits I have been trying to shake since moving from So Cal to OR. It proved to me that I have more work to do. I was a bit too aggressive and said some quite rude things. Perry, my apologies are to you as well. As a fellow business owner I understand your stance on a lot of this stuff. I have seen more occasions than I wish to acknowledge on both things being sold far below market value (which hurts the industry) as well as being sold at excessively high prices. Albeit you and I are in two completely different industries the risks remain the same. I make investments and run the risk of others slamming my prices or accepting them. I am first to admit that I am not the cheapest one out there, but I feel that with my experience and knowledge that my rates are more than fair. Although my reputation on this site is not a shining example for others to follow, my professional reputation is a complete 180 as it will remain. I may not be the easiest person to get along with, as I am sure most of you already know. But my actions last night were nothing shy of being a straight Ahole. Only a few here on this site have had interactions with me on a professional level and if they wish to vouch for my reputation in that aspect they will if not, not. I have never had an issue with the prices you have asked as I have almost always been one of the first to say a good price is one that is accepted by customers. What you fetch for something is your business and no one else's. My only problem with you has been, IMO your attitude on some things. So whether or not you want to follow my lead is your choice, but I am no longer going to continue the bickering nor my grudge. To each his own and that is something I will just have to accept.

To those who have issues or doubt with my corals, you are entitled to your opinion. I no longer care. Those who have seen with their own eyes know what I have, those who haven't feel free to speculate. As Perry said in a previous post, "I am not here to impress anyone". That is all I have to say, I apologize for my actions, statements, and overall attitude in this thread and can only strive to improve on these things in the future. I do promise to make a conscious effort in doing just that.

OIB

To date your marketing has been brilliant, however in one short evening you have completely turned me off. Let's face it you are a business owner that has an eye for items that have potential for turning a substantial profit; There is nothing wrong with that. It's really too bad that your failure to contain your emotions, or admit that this is the way that you make your living and free marketing allows you to sell your product for whatever the market will bear has really turned me off. In the late 60s or early 70s Bill Withers sang a song titled Smiling Faces. I think of that song when you have tell the members of PNWMAS what a nice guy you are; within hours of calling club members every name in the book. I for one was so turned off by your immaturity that I will never step foot in your store, even if you your giving your stuff away. I don't know how many others feel the same way that I do but I would have to believe that the number would be staggering.