The 120G has arrived!

siskiou

The only good thing that happened today! :)

Though I have belatedly realized that I am crazy and should have stuck with something smaller! (whistle)

Sean and family and Miles and his wife can attest to the crazyness!

But I'm blaming it all on you guys telling me I should get a 120G.

I'll get over it once it's not sitting smack in the middle of our rather small living room.

My husband took it with grace and we are currently celebrating with a nice beer.

This weekend will be busy, emptying out the 40G to make room for the 120.

-Susanne

Though I have belatedly realized that I am crazy and should have stuck with something smaller!

Are you kidding? I saw the tank and it's awesome! Nice and wide! You're going to love that for aquascaping. And someday... you're going to be thinking that the tank is too small! rofl

You have to realize that we live in a very small house! :D

Anyway, we all three swear that the 120 we looked at at Aqua Serene (we checked out the 75, 90 and 120 there to get an idea of the sizes) was smaller.

But I'm sure I'll fill it up eventually! :)

One thing that's already a problem is that my skimmer is a tiny bit too tall.

I'll have to set it up outside the stand until I can get a different one (in a year ot ten ;)).

I hope it's not too noisy! It's a strange recirc with a mag 7 on it (Terminator).

Ah, darn!

AGA packed the wrong bulkhead size for the return in at least one of the packages!

It's too large and doesn't fit the 3/4 inch hole.

Edit: I take that back. They pack 3 bulkheads, so you have a choice between a 1 inch hosebarb, or a 3/4 inch for the drain.

Edit2:

Can anyone tell me what the three holes on the top part of the drain/durso pipe are good for?

P1030180-1.jpg

Hm, the only thing I can adjust on mine is the height of the whole standpipe, which means I could have the holes above water or below the waterline, but there is nothing that would cover/uncover the holes otherwise.

The way the piece is dedigned, it can only be slid on top of the movable pipe to a certain point, but then it narrows and can go no further.

I thought the nipple up top was there to let air in?

Do you have the same ones, Miles?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few more pics of the very slow progress! :)

Finally, some water in the tank. No salt yet, until I have the plumbing fully figured out.

P1030191.jpg

Getting fuller! Notice Fly Guy's rock lifts waiting for the live rock to be added.

P1030194-1.jpg

P1030192.jpg

And we hung up the light today! The background is finally on, too.

P1030195.jpg

man i cant wait to get to the valley in the spring.....i am leery of setting up even my 40 gallon right now cuz I dont want to have to move it and cuz everything i need has to be shipped. :( but once i get back to the right side of the mountains i can start convincing the wife we need a 120....lol so for now i guess i will just have to live vicariously thru you guys' tanks! :D

The light is an 8 bulb Tek fixture with hanging kit and my skimmer is that weird Terminator.

Can't tell you how well that works yet, because I don't even have salt in the water at this point.

Once I have the gate valves and can dial in the "herbie" overflow properly, I can get things going.

I did some more work on the tank this weekend.

The gate valves have arrived and the "Herbie overflows" are nicely dialed in.

Ah, the silence (if only it weren't for the somewhat noisy mag7 that came with my used skimmer. Not bad, but noticable.)! :D

I hope this Terminator skimmer works! I still have no idea how this design without a collection cup is supposed to get the skimmate into the external skimmate bottle.

I added my meager amount of cycled rock from the 40G, that has been sitting in a rubbermaid tub in the kitchen for the last few weeks.

Obviously, I need a lot more LR, and larger pieces than I currently have, too!

P1030200.jpg

P1030198.jpg

Notice Flyguy's rock lifts!

I'll leave the tank barebottom until I have all the rock I'm going to add.

This current rock still sheds a bit, and it's easier to clean the stuff out without sand.

Once things have settled down and nothing much comes out when I blast the rocks, I'll add a shallow sandbed.

Currently circulation is three MJ1200 and the Eheim 1262 return pump.

I haven't added the penductors to the returns yet, but hopefully tomorrow.

Looks great Suzanne!! Cant wait to see it fill up all the way.

Dont forget...........if any of those individual lifts arent needed for support(which many of them arent), yank em out of there as you start to stack the rock and realize which ones exactly arent needed ;)

Looks great Suzanne!! Cant wait to see it fill up all the way.

Dont forget...........if any of those individual lifts arent needed for support(which many of them arent), yank em out of there as you start to stack the rock and realize which ones exactly arent needed ;)

I will once I have all my rock.

My current pieces are so small that a lot of the outside lifts are only supporting it by one of the "spikes" of the lift. So, they may look as if they aren't needed in the picture, but they actually are.

Any advice how to hide these later?

A tiny bit of overhang on the lifts on the edge makes sure to cast a shadow that makes them much harder to see...........this can either be accomplished by taking a large pair of wire cutters and making a little dimple in the underside of the rock so that the rock CAN overhang the rod by a inch or so.......a 3/4 masonry drill bit can do the same thing.

To do it without any rock chipping needing to take place you can either use rocks that are big enough to lay down with a slight overhang, OR have two smaller rocks in your hands, lay one down with the slight overhang, and then another on top of it to haold it in place.

Although, i must say, just a little bit bigger rocks is the way to go.

Regardless of what you do, once you throw the sand in there, you will see that everything is much harder to see anyway, whether or not it is in a slight shadow.

Looks good! Lets see under the stand too. :D

Here you go!

Not nearly as organized as your's, but it'll do.

I still need to get a hose for the skimmate, which I'll be getting today.

P1030201.jpg

The "channel with the LR pieces in it will be a frag area later, with pc lighting over it.

P1030202.jpg

Oh, and does anyone have an idea what to put underneath the skimmer that will not become a nitrate factory down the road?

I stuffed a filter sock underneath, which really helps with the noise, but it might cause problems later.