Atomatic Dosing: Alkalinity and Calcium

siskiou

Are you dosing, and if yes, how do you have your's set up?

Automatic or by hand every day?

I've been dosing by hand (calcium in the evening and Alk in the morning), but wouldn't mind automating the task.

As usual, I have to start cheap and am thinking of using aqualifters and timers, but if there are better solutions...

:D

Kalk reactor via ATO, controlled by ACjr. I'm pretty happy with it, but have been thinking about moving to 2-part auto-dosed by peristaltic pumps... either generic pumps (controlled by the ACjr) or maybe a LitreMeter. I wouldn't try precision dosing with an Aqualifter, certainly not one controlled by normal timers.

Some dough would come in handy! :D

There is always something needed! New T5 bulbs, a temp and pH probe for the second tank, test kits, carbon, new ATO to replace the one that failed...

I think I'll have to keep doing this by hand a while longer. :)

Some dough would come in handy! :D

There is always something needed! New T5 bulbs, a temp and pH probe for the second tank, test kits, carbon, new ATO to replace the one that failed...

I think I'll have to keep doing this by hand a while longer. :)

I hear that completly. New pump, new skimmer, new bulbs then of course salt gfo and carbon and food not to mention a fish or coral occationally. I have been trying to not spend as much on my tank this year. I sell a anemone when my rose splits and buy some salt and carbon. Try to trade a few frags here and there but its gonna cost me every month. This year I have been keeping track of the spending then at the end of the year I will figure out the per month cost. Mabey a different hobby is in store for me. I like the hobby and am facinated with the sea life but can loose my passion pretty quick when I have to dump another hundred in the tank for something.

I have a Knopp C Cal reactor and dose kalk about every other day an night.

Jay

Oh yea. I got a new electric guitar and have taken up that hobby now. About 600 for amp and guitar and then its just new strings for about 10 bucks occationally. Im not that good yet but I can play Black Sabbath paranoid and a few other old hard rock licks. when played at the correct volume ( loud ) its a great way to de-stress plus is just a blast. I try to see if I can piss-off the neighbors and he just says your guitar playing is comming along pretty good : P

Here it's me with the aquariums and my husband with the electric guitar! :)

At least, I can occasionally sell a coral or two to help buy stuff for my hobby! He isn't anywhere good enough to make money with his! :D

But yeah, the economy is not helping and my job will be cut down by 1/4 of the hours next year, so whatever equipment I have now better last!

Are you dosing, and if yes, how do you have your's set up?

Automatic or by hand every day?

I've been dosing by hand (calcium in the evening and Alk in the morning), but wouldn't mind automating the task.

As usual, I have to start cheap and am thinking of using aqualifters and timers, but if there are better solutions...

:D

Sisk, is there a reason why you dose cal in the evening and alk in the AM? Thanks.

Yes, I dose Alk in the morning, because my pH is lower then, and the solution raises the pH a bit.

I do the Calcium in the evening, because I don't want to dump both solutions in at the same time. I remember reading something about not adding them too close together.

And having a routine helps me to not forget! :D

I was adding kalk via topoff and alkalinity via Ca reactor. Basically, I bought a 5 g clear jug from WM (the used for water) and drilled two holes on the cap. Added Kalk powder (~1 lb) and passed my ATO through it. This setup lasted me for good 3 months before I had to recharge it with kalk. The whole thing cost me less that $20.00.