Sea Salts, Part Two: The M.A.R.S.H. Salt Study

andy

I thought about dumping it but it is starting to catch on I think just because it is cheap more than anything. Pretty soon I am going to have to call the place Salt. I currently have Red Sea (old mix), Red Sea Coral Pro (the good stuff), Oceanpure, and Instant Ocean in buckets. Once I get done with this awful move I am going to pull alot of the shelving and reorganize it so that I can keep carrying a variety. It is going to get a little more crowded in there tomorrow I have all the stuff that I ordered from my trade show coming. You could say I went a little overboard.

Anyone using Seachem Reef? I was using Oceanic for a long time, but then I started being a responsible aquarist and tested a few batches of freshly mixed water.... whoa. i switched to Coralife just because my options are limited here in bend, IO, Oceanic, or Coralife. I've been considering buying a bucket of Seachem to try..... anyone have experience(sp? i tried 4 times.. shouldn't have failed english :) )

Anyone using Seachem Reef? I was using Oceanic for a long time' date=' but then I started being a responsible aquarist and tested a few batches of freshly mixed water.... whoa. i switched to Coralife just because my options are limited here in bend, IO, Oceanic, or Coralife. I've been considering buying a bucket of Seachem to try..... anyone have experience(sp? i tried 4 times.. shouldn't have failed english :) )[/quote']

Many knowledgable reefers have been mixing IO with Oceanic in a 50/50 blend for quite some time now. The low Ca and Mg (along with the high dkh) of IO balances the high Ca, Mg and low dkh of Oceanic. Seachem seems to be good....but, be aware, that it has a high borate content which will gives a false high reading on many alk test kits like Sailferts. The borate content needs to be subtracted from a Sailferts reading.

There is a way to determine the value (discussed in the link below)....but, the best way is to use a test kit that the borate content doesn't interfere with the test results....Seachem makes one. All salts have borate in their mix....but, seachem uses alot to have a high pH.....and that large amount skews the dkh reading on some kits including Sailferts. You'll get a reading of 10dkh....but, reality is it is really 8 dkh. Here's a link where this concept is discussed with a Seachem rep....start around page 5.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6849

It's the alk that was causing the problems in that thread. In a Zeovit system, it's very important to run an alk at 6 dkh.....so in reality, they were running too low at around 4 dkh even though their kits were reading 6 dkh. The high borate won't affect the health of the animals (that we know)....it will just give you a false reading on SOME alk test kits......past that, I've heard nothing but good things about the salt....you just need to be aware of a possible wrong result depending on which alk test kit that you are using.