Now this is SUPER COOL technology!!!!

Ocean In a Box

I have been following development on Xenon Plasma bulbs use for aquarium lighting for awhile now too! I'm sure the will be the next big step. From what I have read, it will be available in assorted Kelvin ratings.

Have they worked out the color issue? I thought that they were about 6000K. I don't want yellow looking water.

If the price on them is reasonable, then I would be interested. The LED Solaris was just priced WAY out of my league.

dsoz

Have they worked out the color issue? I thought that they were about 6000K. I don't want yellow looking water.

If the price on them is reasonable, then I would be interested. The LED Solaris was just priced WAY out of my league.

dsoz

Here are the varieties of Xenon lamps used for car headlights. I'm sure the ones used for aquarium applications would be similar. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-REPLACEMENT-KIT-2-XENON-LAMPS-BULBS-9006-6000K-NEW_W0QQitemZ370158350779QQcmdZViewItem

it looks awesome' date=' but 6000k wont be too appealing to the aquarium community. there is no amount of supplemental lighting that would even make a dent in that. it may be the wave of the future, but it has a ways to go before its ready for the reef world.[/quote']

The third picture down on this page shows Xenon bulbs of other spectral ranges. 8k, 10k, 12k, 20k and 25k

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/part-2-lfp%E2%80%99s-xenon-and-led-reef-lighting-system/

"G B D: What lights showed promise from a spectral perspective?

L F P: I worked with a wholesaler to test the different brands of 8k, 10k, 12k, 20k and 25k Xenon bulbs they offered. Both flux and spectrum varied widely between the different bulbs. I ended up using one of the more pricey company’s 25k blue and 25k purple for some of the spots, and a different manufactures 10k bulbs for the areas I wanted to appear more white. The 25k purple bulbs give a color I’ve never seen in reef lighting. I previously used some of KZ’s Fiji purple bulbs in my T5 lights, but this purple is much more vivid. The lamps I chose all showed strong 430nm peaks, and other longer wavelengths, which was something I wanted to help stimulate chlorophyll A."