Ich in DT

Shadowlu

I just wanted to see if you any of you can confirm this as being Ich. I noticed it on my porcupine fish and moved him to a 12g nano tank that i had running with nothing in it. At first I just thought it was my sand since I have very fine sand in my tank because my fish think its fun to burrow under my rocks and create sand storms in my tank, but now my butterfly looks like its on his tail fin. Luckily I do have ample supply of 10g tanks (long story) that I can use to quarantine all my fish, but not sure if i can keep everything alive for 30 days while I keep my DT fallow. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Just an update to my little ich problem. I have lost 3 fish now (Clown Trigger, Porcupine Puffer, and Raccoon Butterfly). This weekend im gonna take the steps to eradicate this annoying parasite. I got a 50g tank to house my lionfish and 3 eels to treat with Paraguard since they can't be treated with copper. I have a 29g to house the rest of my fish in that I will do the 14 day cupermine treatment in. My DT will remain fallow for atleast 6 weeks. While my tank is fishless I plan on doing some plumbing work and adding a 55g auto top off. Also gonna drill my rock for pvc piping to keep my eels from possibly knocking over rock.

Thanks for all of your replies and help.

David

Compare to this......

3526844642_7431a5fd58_o.jpg

So yes, that does look like ich. :(

BTW, this guy did fully recover after about 3 weeks like this and now all is well.

I know it is bad but that tang looks really pretty with the spots all over. too bad it wasn't just a color pattern.

common guys. nobody even answered the guy and we went off topic already...

yes. i cant say for sure, but it looks to me like you have ich in your display tank. the only way to truly get rid of it is to remove all the fish and put them in QT and treat them with copper. you have to run the display tank fallow for 8 weeks to allow the ich to die due to not having a host.

I did not quarantine this Purple Tang. I left him in the DT along with 7 other fish the whole time he had this. He eventually fought it off and none of the other fish came down with it. He did struggle a bit - spent most of the time parked in front of a #2 Korallia, I assumed that was so he could breathe better. I did treat the food with garlic extract and tried a couple other "reef safe" chems, but do not think they were effective so, other than the garlic, I would not recommend them.

Bottom line is, while some say that you must quarantine all fish, treat the affected one with copper and let the DT go fallow for 6-8 weeks, I think that if the fish is otherwise healthy and still eating and swimming well, they can probably fight it off effectively. Just as we would fight off a cold. At least that was my experience.

YM(of course)MV

Thanks Steelhead. That is pretty much my plan. I have a QT setup just in case but for now I will observe and see if the fish gets better. I think it would cause more stress on the fish to move him to another new enviroment. The ich seems really mild now (just a few spots) so I don't want to stress the fish anymore.

I bought the strong (spendy) stuff - Kent Garlic Xtreme - mixed some in their food so that everybody got a dose and a drop on the seaweed, that went on the clip, daily for the Tang and the Foxface. It took a very long 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for it to be completely gone. Everybody's doing great now. Hang in there, as long as he's eating he'll probably be fine.