Help ID coral

Danik

Looks like hydnophora to me. If it is, you want it at least 9 inches away from anything else. They have killer sweeper tentacles that get long, and they attack and kill everything else. I think this is one coral that is considered "king of the tank" right above galaxea.

dsoz

Do an experiment. put something cheap like a mushroom or xenia really close to it so it just barely touches it when extended. Come back in a few hours, then back again after the lights have been off for an hour or three...

If there are 1000 small diameter, long length, hairs connecting the two corals that seem to be coming from it, then I would bet hydnophoria. I had this happen with my hydno and a fuzzy mushroom. Hydno 1, fuzzy mushroom RIP.

Consider it a bio-weapon. If you get xenia that is taking over your tank, put a frag of hydno near it and it will go away. Too many ugly zoas, use hydno. GSP taking over too much real estate. Hydno to the rescue. It clears out other corals faster than flaming gasoline. I know Wegotjs had a RBTA wander into a hydno, then walk away, defeated, licking its wounds...

I wonder if it will take out aptasia???

dsoz

Do an experiment. put something cheap like a mushroom or xenia really close to it so it just barely touches it when extended. Come back in a few hours, then back again after the lights have been off for an hour or three...

If there are 1000 small diameter, long length, hairs connecting the two corals that seem to be coming from it, then I would bet hydnophoria. I had this happen with my hydno and a fuzzy mushroom. Hydno 1, fuzzy mushroom RIP.

Consider it a bio-weapon. If you get xenia that is taking over your tank, put a frag of hydno near it and it will go away. Too many ugly zoas, use hydno. GSP taking over too much real estate. Hydno to the rescue. It clears out other corals faster than flaming gasoline. I know Wegotjs had a RBTA wander into a hydno, then walk away, defeated, licking its wounds...

I wonder if it will take out aptasia???

dsoz

awesome idea. I have some gsp that needs to go byebye!!!!!DOH!(rock2)

before you kill it, see if your LFS will give store credit for it. there is always some newbie that wants to get some GSP.

It is strange, I can't get it to grow in my tank... LOL Blessing in disguise.

dsoz

before you kill it, see if your LFS will give store credit for it. there is always some newbie that wants to get some GSP.

It is strange, I can't get it to grow in my tank... LOL Blessing in disguise.

dsoz

I would love too do that. The only problems is the fact that I can't get to the rock. Its on one of my bottom rocks in my 150 gallon.

It does look like hydno, I have alot of it. Mine has to have another coral about 1/2" or so before it "takes it out" basicly looks like it sends out and covers with a spiderweb

If anyone wants some I have alot, great for what Dennis said keeps things under control and removers unwanted pest!!

let me know