fluconazole to battle byropsis

featherblue

so I've been watching the thread on r2r, and decided to try it. I've been battling byropsis in my display most of the last year with very little sucess and huge stress to my surviving corals. I've got a 72g bow front with a 15g sump, so I dosed 1400mg fluconazole (20mg/g, approx 70g with sand and rock displacememt....might have avg displacement a lil low) on Feb 5th at lights out. Here's a few pics right before I dosed.

199c15a45c3219059a1d7a0b87306fac.jpg

e14edebea1f19f80420b1d07e7217c85.jpg

1ff7f166d1e3a2d1de24c18b04ff53b1.jpg

today is 1 week after initial treatment, and I'm seeing real results. my poor pencil urchin has spines that can been seen again!

here's a few shots from today.

56917159bdf86ac21db8b389b8cd2d78.jpg

e9684c36f973041d96035924cadc6aa9.jpg

a7017433571cc3815b7b7449a0bbb1ac.jpg

the algae is definitely turning white and dying! None of my livestock seems affected, even my nems are open and happy. I have seem a small bloom of red cyano, but there's been quite a bit of algae dying. I've got hope that it will all be dead in another week, and I can go back to enjoying my tank!

• Like 1

Lots of positive trials of this stuff. I'm hoping that you see success with minimal effects. If so, we can all cross a super annoying algae off the list of 'reasons to break tank with bat.' 

I've got two tiny spots in my 180 and I've been hitting them each morning with a little H202. One is gone but the other remains. It's maybe a centimeter worth... I might just drop a bunch of super glue on it and call it even. But I'm trying to be super aggressive. 

• Like 1

payless pet products

https://payless-petproducts.com/#2726

it's the only one I found that doesn't require a prescription and had capsules of fluconazole

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, did you use PayPal or your CC? I wanted to order some just to have on hand but wasn't sure how secure the site was...maybe just being paranoid. The PayPal option does weird stuff when I try to use it. :(

hard choice coming up on monday, to wc or wait wait. Sunday is 14 days of treatment, and I'm seeing great progress. I'm not sure if it's all going to be dead by then. I can't decide if I should do a wc and redose, or just wait til the last of it dies. it'll be close to eradicated by Sunday, but the worst spots still have a decent visible amount of byropsis.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm at 16 days and everything is slowly dying off. I do need to do a wc, the cyano is feasting on all the excess nutrients from the dead byropsis. I'm think about doing one tomw, but adding fluconazole to the new water to continue the treatment for another week.

should I dose the wc at the same rate as the tank (15g wc in 75g system, so I'd an additional 300mg), or should I do my wc and dose the full tank with another total dose (70g at 20mg/g, so 1400mg to the system).

haven't been finding much info on how fluconazole breaks down.

Edited by featherblue

I was reading that it either gets skimmed out or can be broken down with UV. I'm sure carbon absorbs some as well. Did you skim during treatment or not? If you did I'd probably just do a full dose with the water change. I don't think there has been any negative reports of people over doing the dosage.

• Like 1

I was reading that it either gets skimmed out or can be broken down with UV. I'm sure carbon absorbs some as well. Did you skim during treatment or not? If you did I'd probably just do a full dose with the water change. I don't think there has been any negative reports of people over doing the dosage.

I followed the r2r thread for almost a month, I am 20 days in.  I re-dosed a full dosage at 10 days and no ill effects on any fish, lps, sps, ect.

I ran both carbon and gfo, while skimming the entire time.  I followed my normal weekly water change routine as well.  I do think the UV will effect it though.

Run your lights as usual, as the lights seem to be what speeds up the process. People who have high par have faster die off, also the bryopsis near the top dies faster too.

I battled bryopsis for over 2 years in my sps dominant tank, and this was a life saver!  IT WORKS!

• Like 2

It has not even been 24 hours yet since dosing and I'm staring at the tank just waiting [emoji30] it's like watching paint dry!! I just want it gone and clearly I am the most impatient persons ever [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sirena