Nano ATO Suggestions

tomaboyd

I have a 16G Innovative Marine Nano and am currently using a Hydor ATO tied in with a Innovative Marine Hydrofill pump.  

My problem is that the IM pump moves water soo fast that before the ATO tells it to shut off it has overfilled and the alarm goes off.  I tried using an Aqua Lifter, but because of my set up I have to move the water about 4+ ft. up and the AL does not do the job.

So, before I have to spend another $200 on the IM ATO, does anyone have any other suggestions?  I have been looking at the Tunze Nano system, but am concerned the included pump would not fit in the mouth of my refill tank (basically a 5 gallon glass carboy).

Thank you.

In my experience raising the aqualifter doesn't help much since you are still drawing the distance it was pushing before. A peristaltic pump would be op's best bet if he wants to keep the current ATO. A Brs 50 ml dosing pump would work, I think avast sells them also for their ATO's.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still using the the same type float activated, gravity fed, ATO that I had 20 years ago. Only one slight mishap about 10years ago, and a vinegar soak took care of it, along with a small dab of silicon grease on the shutoff.

Electronic ATOs are finally looking more dependable than a few years ago. I have only looked at one ATO video, but I was impressed. http://www.hydor.com/eng/prodotti-tecnici/controllers/smart-level.php

Suprised no one has mentioned, I spent $65 and got one from AutoTopOff.Com 3 years ago and have loved it! The system has never given me any issues whatsoever.

Reminds me of the ones we made out of washing machine type float switches years ago. Same basic design and principal. It is very simple and should last you many years. :) I was always concerned about the mercury inside though it was epoxy sealed. Possibly the new ones use something else inside.

Possibly using an ATO that runs off a DC adapter would lessen your power consumption. This might be a good feature to consider. I know low cost is very important to you, but its always best to but the best quality that you can afford. Undependable equipment is not really a good deal, and will cause you even greater expense later. Search the classifieds here at PNWMAS, Facebook reef groups, Craigslist, and Ebay & Amazon for used, if that's what you want. I used to DIY build a lot of my old equipment, but for the most part it was a lot of work and not always the best results.

Use at least a couple of good quality power strips. This is very important along with using a GFCI, which is just as important. Position everything so no salt spray or flooding water can come in come in contact with any saltwater, shorts out and start a fire. Keep in mind that safety needs to be a priority to avoid not only loss of livestock, but a potentially worse disaster. Talk to any of these people here that have been keeping reefs a few years and they will tell you the same thing. If you ever accidentally dump saltwater on your electrical plugins, shut off that power and rinse it with tapwater and completely dry before using it again. That sizzling sound you hear when saltwater hits hot wiring can turn into a fire. I'm only explaining all this for you so you don't have to learn the hard way.

I have been told gfci are not necessarily! And don't they take some electriion to hook it up

I have always used a GFCI outlets where I have a tank, water and electricity don't mix. I install mine myself but if you don't feel comfortable swapping out an outlet, probably better to let an electrician do it. 

Edited by matty

A GFCI is only necessary if you value your tank and your life. Of course everything will run without one... until you have an accident.

I have seen more than one tank have an electrical short, like a broken heater or a light drop in a tank and everything it living in it be dead within minutes. It happened to me once and it has happened to people I know. In addition to this, I have read countless stories online. It' not worth the risk to not have one. Period.

I had a friend years ago that did a lot of his own electrical work. He was also one of the first people in Oregon to frag corals. This was a few years back when corals were almost all wild collected. At the time, he did not use a GFCI. He left his beautiful coral display tank after he had been working on it, to do some work in his office in the other room. When he returned 15 minutes later, something from his lighting had dropped into the tank... and it looked like someone had poured milk into it. Every last thing in the tank was dead. He said that he should have known better, but it was too late then. It's a very sad, sick feeling when this happens and is totally preventable by using a GFCI.

House wiring can vary house to house, and installing a GFCI is usually simple. Sometimes it is can be a little more complicated. I am doing my best to post facts, not just my opinion when it comes to this. I could go on with many other stories, but that is not my intent. Like I have said to you before, I am only trying to help you. Now you know the truth about using a GFCI.

Edited by JManrow

Ok I'll have my moms boyfriend( electrtion ) hook one up for me! Sorry was just being a little stubborn. Didn't want to go threw the process of asking and doing this! So what do I do with having so many cords? Any way to up the amount ?

For one thing, your mom's boyfriend is an electrician. Talk to him about the situation. Maybe a higher amperage circuit breaker can be installed (if it is safe to do so) or some equipment can be on another circuit. Other people have much more running than with a tank your size. Many systems have chillers, large skimmers controllers and other things. The main thing is to do all this safely. There are also was of organizing your electric cord with zip ties It is very important that saltwater is not allowed to drip down the cords to the power supply!

Edited by JManrow
corrected spellcheck change of amperage to average
  • Like 1