Help! Not another light fixture!

siskiou

This must be the year of the failing light fixtures for me!:eek:

After just replacing two recently (a month or two ago), my 20H 130w pc fixture just died on me (after a popping noise).

This is the one I just changed the bulbs on, but now nothing is working. no moonlights, no fans, everything dead.

It's still warm, so I haven't opened it up, but I suspect it's something serious.

If it were just a bulb...

I can absolutely not afford buying another fixture right now. Is there anyone in Eugene or surrounding areas who has something lying around they are not using that I could borrow or buy for very cheap?

I have plenty of 65w replacement bulbs around, but they aren't doing me much good without a working fixture.

The only thing I could trade right now are red mushrooms, Xenia and a purple mushroom, and a candy cane frag.

Correction: after one more check, all lights dead, fans working.

Any ideas?

What kind of fixture is it? It might just be your ballast? How old is the fixture? Where did you buy it? Under Warranty? If not here is a link to a replacement ballast for a Current USA 2X65watt.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuo6j_JZEyEkB8V1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE4YWI2OGZrBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANZUzEwM18xODI-/SIG=12g8qim9g/EXP=1150832163/**http%3a//www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_CurrentParts.html

Sorry about our luck. My wife has a 2X65 watt Current USA fixture on her nano. We would be happy to test your lights for you. We live in Creswell.

Jay

Thanks!

It's a cheapo jebo fixture, about 1 1/2 years old, no warranty.

I know it's not the best quality, but it's been doing great all this time, and I've had name brands (Coralife) die on me sooner. ;)

The bulbs are fine (tested them on a ballast from my daughter's freshwater tank.

I just took the fixture apart, and visually there is nothing to be seen.

No melted, burned or loose connections.

It must be the ballast again, I guess.

I'll check out the link for the CurrentUSA ballast.

IMO you get what you pay for in lighting. Ebay is like a lighting crap factory it seems these days. Maybe you should buy a canopy and do retro? then you have nice furniture and retro costs are much more reasonable. Ive got PC ballasts I cant hardly GIVE away, Ive had them at 50% off for 6 months and no one wants them.

Just wanted to say a big "Thank you" to Reid and Kristi, who are loaning me one of their fixture until I can get things straightened out!(waving)

And I agree in general on "getting what you pay for", but I've had just as bad luck with more expensive name brand lighting, so I'm not sure.

I sure wish Portland were a little closer, or gas a little cheaper! :)

IMO you get what you pay for in lighting. Ebay is like a lighting crap factory it seems these days. Maybe you should buy a canopy and do retro? then you have nice furniture and retro costs are much more reasonable. Ive got PC ballasts I cant hardly GIVE away' date=' Ive had them at 50% off for 6 months and no one wants them.[/quote']

I agree with Joel, you might be better off putting together a simple hood and adding some basic DIY compact flourescents in there. All you have are softies/LPS right? I imagine you could put together something for around 30-40 that gives off just as much light.

All you have are softies/LPS right?

And a monti cap.

I imagine you could put together something for around 30-40 that gives off just as much light.

Uh, I'm sure *you* could do that easily with your knowledge, Miles! (whistle) :D

I, on the other hand, have not much experience with what is good/bad in electronics and how to do the wiring safely.

And by the time I've bought the wood, paint, tools to make it look decent, fans, reflectors, ballasts, end caps, wiring and a tutor to put it all together... :)

I'd love to go T5 and add a few sps!

Anyone here using them? Could I build a T5 retro as easily as a pc and be in about the same price range?

I've bought a couple of lottery tickets and will try to pick up some overtime once my boss is back from Mexico!

-Susanne

And a monti cap.

Uh, I'm sure *you* could do that easily with your knowledge, Miles! (whistle) :D

I, on the other hand, have not much experience with what is good/bad in electronics and how to do the wiring safely.

And by the time I've bought the wood, paint, tools to make it look decent, fans, reflectors, ballasts, end caps, wiring and a tutor to put it all together... :)

I'd love to go T5 and add a few sps!

Anyone here using them? Could I build a T5 retro as easily as a pc and be in about the same price range?

I've bought a couple of lottery tickets and will try to pick up some overtime once my boss is back from Mexico!

-Susanne

I would go with aqualuxlighting.com if you want to go retro T5...if you need help putting it together I would be happy to lend a hand...PM me if you have questions or are interested.

I would go with aqualuxlighting.com if you want to go retro T5...if you need help putting it together I would be happy to lend a hand...PM me if you have questions or are interested.

I'll check out the aqualux website!

And thanks for your offer to help, but I'm in Eugene.

Looking at the resources available in Portland, I sometimes wish we lived closer!

If only gas were still $.99 a gallon!

-Susanne

T5 would be a great option for you. It would be just as easy to do a T5 retro as a PC one. I could help you wire it up and put together a simple little hood one weekend' date=' shouldn't take but a hour or 2 max.[/quote']

Thanks, Miles!

I'll contact you via pm!

I can get Tek lights that are "ding and dent", ive got a 4 lamp 48" here Id sell for $150. It has a 2 inch blemish on one side that has been repaired. Its on the back so youd never see it anyway. It could be used without needing a canopy to mount retro stuff into. Just a thought.