Just set up my first tank

jakemaxwell707

I just set up a 37 gal. Ill update with equipment when i have some more time. But basically a 37gal with a HOB fikter, still working to dial that in. I have a used HOB skimmer that I got used and need to order some parts for. Honestly just hoping I started it right all in all im just excited that I took the leap.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Thank you, I have been on this forum for a few days, reading. The knowledge and experince base is massive, I love it. I was in the reptile hobby for a long time and unfortunately had to exit it against my will. This hobby has already pushed me like reptiles used too. Im so lucky to be part of it.

• Like 1

My tank is up and running! Salinity is a little low, 1.020ill try and bring it up a bit. I posted in another thread that my salinity reading was different through out the column but that has rectified its self as of this morning. My temp is up to 77f and my ammonia is at about 2.0 ppm. Im happy with all of that.

Now equipment
The tank is a marineland 37 gal. Same foot print as a 29 but way taller.

The hood is an eclipse bio wheel, im not real happy with it so far. The light fixture was missing so i had to modify the hood to let light in.

The light is a coral life with blue and white light. There is probably more to it but im still learning about lighting. Again this will most likely be changed in the coming weeks.

I have a real basic power head mounted in the front corner of the tank. It should be turning the tank well over 10 times an hour.

I have the heater in the tank next to the filter intake since there was no room in the filter. Its a 150watt preset heater and it is doing just fine bringing the temps up.

I set this tank up on a budget and im happy with it for the most part but upgrades are coming. Ill start a new thread for those changes.

welcome! Budget builds are always interesting to me. That bio-wheel won't do much once the rock is cycled, just one more thing you have to maintain, so I'd pull it out. if you want any stony corals, you'll probably want to find another powerhead or two. since working on a budget, you might look at the jebao powerheads, maybe the pp4 that I have in my 29g. That light will probably do fine for soft corals and a few stony corals like cyphastrea or elegance or even duncans and euphyllia would probably be fine.

Have you added any bacteria? If not, I'd highly suggest adding something like Dr Tim's one and only or biospira or Microbacter7 or something, it'll take care of that ammonia cycle much faster, and they do really well at the lower salinity you've got. Speaking of that salinity, what are you measuring with? did you mix it in the tank?  Typically people mix in a differen vessel (like a 5g bucket or 32g brute can) and transfer into the tank, that way the salinity is perfect before it goes in the tank. At any rate, you can bring it up by topping off the evaporated water with newly mixed saltwater. What evaporates is the water (not the salt), so we normally top off (daily) with fresh (RODI) water, but when the salinity is low, topping off with saltwater is a perfect way to slowly raise the salinity.

welcome! Budget builds are always interesting to me. That bio-wheel won't do much once the rock is cycled, just one more thing you have to maintain, so I'd pull it out. if you want any stony corals, you'll probably want to find another powerhead or two. since working on a budget, you might look at the jebao powerheads, maybe the pp4 that I have in my 29g. That light will probably do fine for soft corals and a few stony corals like cyphastrea or elegance or even duncans and euphyllia would probably be fine.
Have you added any bacteria? If not, I'd highly suggest adding something like Dr Tim's one and only or biospira or Microbacter7 or something, it'll take care of that ammonia cycle much faster, and they do really well at the lower salinity you've got. Speaking of that salinity, what are you measuring with? did you mix it in the tank?  Typically people mix in a differen vessel (like a 5g bucket or 32g brute can) and transfer into the tank, that way the salinity is perfect before it goes in the tank. At any rate, you can bring it up by topping off the evaporated water with newly mixed saltwater. What evaporates is the water (not the salt), so we normally top off (daily) with fresh (RODI) water, but when the salinity is low, topping off with saltwater is a perfect way to slowly raise the salinity.
I agree with the bio wheel it is a pain already. The corals you suggested are the ones i have wanted to start with so I am happy to hear that. As far as mixing goes i did do it in the tank knowing it would be much harder to hit the target. I am measuring with a swing gauge for now but the wonderful people on the forum have offered some alternatives (hanna, pocket testers, and refrecfometers) and ill be picking up one of these asap. I was able to bring the salinity today and im happier with it now and it is very consistent (again swing gauge measurements). I will be picking up a bigger mixing container and ill also be getting an RO/DI system asap. I dont want to pay for it again lol. Thank you for the tips, could you ad some links to the power heads you mentioned I'd really like to check them out.

Cheers

Jebao PP Series Wavemaker with Controller (PP-8) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192HNED6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S7kYDbYX6K1WZ
I think I'd get the pp8 for my 29 if I did it again. It's a slight cost addition and can be tuned about as low, but can move twice as much water when turned up

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1