Large Fiberglass Tank Free to Good Home

I am looking to liquidate a piece of Hatfield Marine Science Center history. This is a double-walled fiberglass tank, around 450 gallons in volume, that was one of the original exhibit tanks when HMSC was built in 1965. For the last 8 years, it has been a Giant Pacific Octopus holding tank in the back of the house, (hence, the railing and AstroTurf around the top,) but I am renovating my lab and this tank is not part of the plan. This sucker is heavy and measures 53" high, 41" wide and 55" deep. There are two 1.5" outflows in the upper back corners and another 1" near the center. There is also a 3/4" drain at the bottom rear of the tank. As of two months ago, it held seawater without any leaks.

This could be a good tank for an aquaponic system in someone's back yard, a big-[language filter] holding tank in someone's garage, or even a reservoir. If you want it, plan on renting a large moving van or flatbed truck. It won't fit into any kind of passenger vehicle.  I plan to put it on a pallet and may be able to have a forklift lift it onto or into your truck.  Please PM me if you're interested. I will only reply to credible messages with names, approximate pickup times within the next couple of weeks (please plan on late mornings Tues., Wed., Thurs., and Fri.) , and contact information.

IMG_2297.JPGIMG_2301.JPGIMG_2300.JPGIMG_2296.JPGIMG_2299.JPG

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

if i had the time i would incorporate this into a backyard pond and make it viewable from the front and top.  build it into a retaining wall and place stone to the front edges and over the top to hide the edges of the tank.  is the clear panel glass or acrylic?  if it's glass is it tempered?  sorry to high jack the thread but this might be helpful information to give someone an idea for a use for it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kilmca said:

if i had the time i would incorporate this into a backyard pond and make it viewable from the front and top.  build it into a retaining wall and place stone to the front edges and over the top to hide the edges of the tank.  is the clear panel glass or acrylic?  if it's glass is it tempered?  sorry to high jack the thread but this might be helpful information to give someone an idea for a use for it.  

These are good questions and important information for the listing. Pretty sure the front pane is acrylic but will investigate and edit with info tomorrow. Well done and thank you!

• 1 month later...

I’m interested and I do want it, but the logistics of actually placing that in my garage is troubling. If you still have this sitting around, let me know so I can ruminate on it and I might be able to take it.

Edited by LadAShark