Hanna salinity checker vs. Red Sea refractometer

Lazyreefer

Hey all! I just got my Hanna salinity/temp checker in the mail from marine depot today. Love the idea of being able to just hold it down into the water for a few seconds and get temp and salinity obviously I feel like anyone would. I’ve been trying to make the water change process as simple and painless as possible to make me want to do them more and this is my second to last thing on the list for that. One thing I have noticed now using it is that it is reading 1.029 on my salinity in my lagoon and the Red Sea refractometer reads 1.024. Red Sea calibrated with rodi as they describe to do and the Hanna meter calibrated with the 35 ppt solution it comes with. My question is which on do yall think is correct and why are they reading differently? Thank you very much for reading and any input is much appreciated 🤙

that frustrating feeling when you thought you ordered everything you needed online, and then found out there is one more thing you need...

Aqua Craft Standard Seawater 35 ppt Refractometer Calibration Solution - 60 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053DSWJA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jx5yCbW9NT1BH

that little tube will last FOREVER

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The refractometer should "ALWAYS" be calibrated with 35ppt and the Hanna Should be done with RODI, sounds like you have those backwards. Try changing the Battery in the hanna, when they start to go bad they give bad readings. Otherwise get a 3rd opinion to rule one out, but my guess is the Red Sea Refractometer

that frustrating feeling when you thought you ordered everything you needed online, and then found out there is one more thing you need...

Aqua Craft Standard Seawater 35 ppt Refractometer Calibration Solution - 60 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053DSWJA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jx5yCbW9NT1BH

that little tube will last FOREVER

The only thing is on red seas website it says to use rodi though. Are you just saying that regardless of it saying that it is just best to use the calibration fluid? And as for the Hanna meter it came with that calibration fluid though? I will bring some water into cuttlefish to double check but I did exactly what they said for both of them from the manufacturer. Appreciate the input let me know if I am still off with what I am doing!! 

1 hour ago, Lazyreefer said:

The only thing is on red seas website it says to use rodi though. Are you just saying that regardless of it saying that it is just best to use the calibration fluid? And as for the Hanna meter it came with that calibration fluid though? I will bring some water into cuttlefish to double check but I did exactly what they said for both of them from the manufacturer. Appreciate the input let me know if I am still off with what I am doing!! 

I'm saying this because:

You use a Refractometer to measure Salinity, RODI has no Salinity, Why would you calibrate to a measurement your not even interested in? It makes more sense since your looking for a reading of ~1.026 to use the proper calibration fluid for setting it to what your looking for. (While I'm sure it can work either way, this is the 1st time i have heard someone suggest calibrating one with RODI) 

As for the Hanna it is a carbon copy of Milwaukee, you caliberate it with RODI an Check with 36ppt, see that button that says "Zero"? You put RODI on there and press that button for calibration. Select Read and you should see 1.0000, wipe it clean, put the 35ppt solution, select read and ensure its reading the solution correctly. If So The Hanna Checker isn't the issue.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

I have a red sea refractometer, bought it thinking it would be nice. It's a joke, you have to keep it at the temp of the water you read or it's off and it couldn't hold calibration at all. Bought a cheap brs one and it holds calibration for weeks and if it's off its only a fraction. I'd say, from my experience, the red sea is off. You could have a had Hanna but I'd question the red sea personally.

• Like 1

My BRS refractometer was defective.  I would calibrate it, take a measurement, then take a second measurement of the exact same water and it was off by 1-2 ppt from the first reading.  I'd recalibrate it, and the same thing happened.  BRS refunded my purchase and I bought a Milwaukie digital refractomer.  Its readings are consistent and I have a lot more confidence in it.

• Like 1

FWIW this is how I use my amazon ch-eee-nigh-ah refractometer...

I drip the calibration solution on it and wait a minute then read. whatever it reads I know is 1.026. then I drip tank water, wait, and try to match the number.

You CAN calibrate a refractometer wity rodi, adjust to zero, but mine reads correct when it doesnt show zero with rodi.... go figure

• Like 1

Awesome, I appreciate the help fellow reefers. I will try the rodi thing with the Hanna. I think I noticed something mistaken in the description and why some of you guys are maybe a little confused this is the Hanna meter I am referring too the new salinity/temp checker is all that you have said pertaining to this one? Thanks again for the time 👌🏻

image.jpg

• Like 1

With Hanna instruments, I always bought Hanna calibration solutions. Seems some solutions don't match what they say so I go with who made the instruments. I'm not sure I trust the quality of the cheaper Hanna instruments but that's coming from the $100 mc/S temp pH readers that are packed in a similar case that I used in hydroponics.

6 hours ago, Lazyreefer said:

Awesome, I appreciate the help fellow reefers. I will try the rodi thing with the Hanna. I think I noticed something mistaken in the description and why some of you guys are maybe a little confused this is the Hanna meter I am referring too the new salinity/temp checker is all that you have said pertaining to this one? Thanks again for the time 👌🏻

:blush: ooops... I was thinking you were discussing one of these:

41S6WTetLSL._SX385_.jpg MA887-300x300.jpg?v=1475396844

I have absolutely idea about the probe you have pictured, or just how accurate those are. 

1 hour ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

With Hanna instruments, I always bought Hanna calibration solutions. Seems some solutions don't match what they say so I go with who made the instruments. I'm not sure I trust the quality of the cheaper Hanna instruments but that's coming from the $100 mc/S temp pH readers that are packed in a similar case that I used in hydroponics.

Okay makes sense, I definitely will use theirs thanks for the input 👌🏻

1 hour ago, Exodus said:

:blush: ooops... I was thinking you were discussing one of these:

41S6WTetLSL._SX385_.jpg MA887-300x300.jpg?v=1475396844

I have absolutely idea about the probe you have pictured, or just how accurate those are. 

Haha yea I Kind of mislead you though that is my fault, thanks for the help though this is the new one they make that I had been seeing a bunch of other people having success with so I’m giving it a go 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unless you are calibrating a photometer, the brand of reference solution doesn't matter. Ph solution, salinity solution, conductivity, etc, all those are just lab standards that are easily mixed and sold.

For photometers...hannah checker, etc then you are buying the exact shade of color needed to get the standard reading, that is when you need branded solutions.

ANYWAYS... let us know how it works! I am really interested in getting one as well.

maybe bring it to the meeting?

This one for the win..................image.png

Been working for me for a while now............I use RO to see if its on and no issues since purchasing it over a year ago.

Its kind of like salt............people dont want to spend the money but yet 200 for a coral is nothing..........