Red slime finally gone!

Jeff.Tichenor

I let my po4 get pretty high and red slime started to bloom. I tried 4+ water changes and vacuumed as much out as I could each time. The phosphates were reduced to .025, nitrates to 15 and have maintained it at this level for over two months - red slime still blooms...

I tried a regiment of Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh and then Waste-Away for several weeks without much improvement. Then I tried a dose of Chemi-Clean. It worked very well. After one dose, and 48 hrs later all traces of cyano are gone!

Before: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QsFiPS1MVaMaNxsi7

After: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eAsGFLrViJeSNKgb9

Now, I can't get my skimmer back under control. I waited another day, added fresh carbon and did a 30% water change. The skimmer is still erupting with a river of very wet foam with it turned down all the way. 

I raised the skimmer about 3+"  and have it overflowing into a 5 gallon bucket. Hopefully it will settle down soon. Anyone have any tips for getting it under control?

NvWnAwJBKPelVz7JR3h8zlimdEzWbfqovjU-tRm9Uzd4j9E3MDfKeUKG0qCvGZVL5C2868SzUh3Jj9pmEVyzpig4Y1GyQSgThYbL2YQmQ4mKbA_isFFq1tYYcVlwh-ifichtvA7RZ8q3Z6sS1BcCE8RYumiH1oufHDygl2RYXZMjMF73vHeXW9O0nWFa8DjYjoSLA5YqkWe_9eaTIahT2CfKOT-1GbHmnXUU4kMNQHxTNc-87zcF4GVi-immURU7gOp-4O6oX2-f2BYfEQaK3QRSyu-154lKpxmDovs27P-CreJAl6vHNoDxUE4lvhqeNM5UVDeMeD9LvC-2_Fh55nLHhS9F-_VFF6EVXePrYeiWkF-B9IquekzrwntHgjZKVEtppd2yL31dB4KXvHQrqG3Go16IlxWiW0nsMZizV0BK4aKHEHw26fwwb3kbbbrg3uDdBFmBbj9H1WT5JWWdvVMdhXOHE-Q23-QL41fsJKCoPAyCS1mTVx8GpJQIKATZYV7FegjrPRVhDuQ7GATKyjYnM8RPF2dTNGAgq-Oer8FgL4vkMf8hmYoy_43XUGbaagrDFfd0-JuKqqyAEJgPzkoE86BBwpuNGqNIZtFNg-ilG4_AbRsIMOzwDdNvOwSvpj7M5C5g8fEWZhUalHoLVUh-=w1689-h1268-no

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming, @shaywood & @Blue Z Reef. After about 6hrs and about 6 gallons of skimmer overflow I was able to drop my skimmer back down in sump. I'm now running back at normal settings! 

Yes, @SuncrestReef - after chasing the cause and solution for several months, I can't believe how fast and effective the chemi-clean was. What a transformation in just 2 days! I am keeping a much better eye on the food I am feeding my little monsters and the buildup of po4 (I am now also running gfo to keep it in check). Hopefully I won't have to do this again 🙄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...