Taste your water!

Jack-the-reefer

On Thursday last week I noticed that my corals were all looking pretty sad and I couldn't figure out why. I was also having a small red algae bloom and lost two snails. 

Turns out, my water buckets had gotten filled up incorrectly, and I did a 25% water change with fresh water. The salinity was 1.021 on Thursday when I checked it. I'm not sure how low it dropped right after the water change, but I had been topping off with salt water which must have bumped it up a little. 

Fortunately, it looks like a couple of turbo snails are going to be the only casualties. I don't know how I for lucky and didn't lose all my corals. 

A huge thank you to Matty for being amazing as always and letting me come over at night and get some salt. I bumped it up to 1.024 that night, then let it slowly come back up to 1.026 as water evaporated. 

Moral of the story? Don't overlook the simplest problem. And I'll always be tasting my water before I add it from now on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

On Thursday last week I noticed that my corals were all looking pretty sad and I couldn't figure out why. I was also having a small red algae bloom and lost two snails. 

Turns out, my water buckets had gotten filled up incorrectly, and I did a 25% water change with fresh water. The salinity was 1.021 on Thursday when I checked it. I'm not sure how low it dropped right after the water change, but I had been topping off with salt water which must have bumped it up a little. 

Fortunately, it looks like a couple of turbo snails are going to be the only casualties. I don't know how I for lucky and didn't lose all my corals. 

A huge thank you to Matty for being amazing as always and letting me come over at night and get some salt. I bumped it up to 1.024 that night, then let it slowly come back up to 1.026 as water evaporated. 

Moral of the story? Don't overlook the simplest problem. And I'll always be tasting my water before I add it from now on. 

Glad you figured it out fairly quickly and didn't lose any of your coral!  Fortunately, I never have RODI in the same type of containers as salt water so it's harder for me to mix up.  Of course, now that I have said that...

1 minute ago, albertareef said:

Glad you figured it out fairly quickly and didn't lose any of your coral!  Fortunately, I never have RODI in the same type of containers as salt water so it's harder for me to mix up.  Of course, now that I have said that...

Thanks! I'm really surprised I didn't lose anything. My containers are different and very clearly marked. Just an honest mistake. 

Glad things are doing ok and Matty could take care of you. As I mentioned, we had the stomach flu that day so you really didn’t want to be around our house 🤢. Also I’m in Camas now so might be slightly farther than my old house was.

you don’t keep salt on hand anymore? Just buying pre mix?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Glad things are doing ok and Matty could take care of you. As I mentioned, we had the stomach flu that day so you really didn’t want to be around our house 🤢. Also I’m in Camas now so might be slightly farther than my old house was.

you don’t keep salt on hand anymore? Just buying pre mix?

No worries at all. I don't want the plague. 

Now that I only have the one small tank, it's not worth the trouble to make it myself. 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, Jack-the-reefer said:

Don't feel bad I have made a similar mistake myself! This is why I have a PM2 with a conductivity probe. I have heard so many other people question the point, but because of a mishap several years ago, that conductivity probe gives me peace of mind knowing I have the ability to catch it if there is a "Next time" hopefully not :)

• Like 1