Re-turn

nrc

Howdy,

Re-joining the forum (was last active in ~2005/2006).   Took down my 90 gal setup when we moved to AK in 2006 - never got around to setting up another one.  Back in Portland, and picked up a 33 gal tank from Woody's last weekend, and returning to the hobby.   Told myself (and my spouse) that I was going to go "slow this time".  

Glad to see some several of the old shops are still doing business.  Super cool to see the advances in lighting that has happened over the last 10 years.   

Will start a build thread in the other forum.

-

Nate

• Like 2

Welcome back ! Yes some of the old shops are still around like Woody's and Upscales and there are also some great new ones! Yes lights have completely changed from the metal halides to most everyone using LEDs now.

Patience is definitely a great quality to have in reef keeping and one that I struggle with every time I go to the LFS and there is a new cool coral! It pains me to walk away! :)

Welcome back!  I dropped out shortly after you when having to tare down my 120 due to majanos and just started up about a year ago.  Hard to stay away for ever.  Definitely some things have changed in that time.  LED lighting has come a long way and T-5 are making a comeback.  Lots of recent advances in automation (seeing alkalinity monitoring on controllers) and things like algae turf scrubbers for nutrient control.  I am sure you will enjoy catching up as you plan your new tank... I know I did.  Yep, there are a few of the old shops around and Woody's moved back to their original location and now has the next generation running the show.  There are some notable new shops as well - Cuttlefish and Coral started up on Mississippi Ave and now moved to Hillsdale (well worth checking out). OIAB is still over in Vancouver but has undergone some ownership changes.  TPA and ATA are not too far away and also well worth a trip. You should check out our sponsors page as many of the local shops are listed on their information.

Good luck with your reboot.  Hopefully we will see you at a meeting in the near future - next one is Dec 2nd at Kennedy School.

22 hours ago, reefrun said:

Welcome back!

"We'll go slow this time" seem to be famous last words. We said the same thing and 6 months in we somehow have 3 tanks and a full tank room :)

:)   Add to "we'll go slow this time" the phrase "I'm going to buy as much stuff locally and/or used as I can " to get a real chuckle.