New to PNW - LF Live Rock near Vancouver,WA

Good Morning,

I just moved from the true Northern NY(Plattsburgh, NY) to Vancouver, WA a few months ago.  I had a 180gal(mostly fish and soft corals) back home 4 or 5 years ago and have decided to get back into the saltwater world.  Tank is just too relaxing not to have.  I've been attempting a cycle with dry rock, but I don't think my patience can wait.  Any thoughts on somewhere close to Vancouver, WA to get some live rock?  I've been shopping at Ocean in a box for my setup, but they are currently setting up a live rock tank.

Here's what I'm working with in the meantime though!

Innovative Marine 20 Gallon Nuvo Fusion(working on pump upgrade, opinions??)

Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue LED Light + controller

20lbs Black Fiji Sand

10lbs Dry Rock

On order:

Innovative Marine Ghost Desktop Protein Skimmer

Innovative Marine MiniMax Media Reactor

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest, and to our forum! We have some great shops in the area. Be sure to take a look at our PNWMAS Sponsors listed in the Forum! Check our Classified section, as there is cycled, live rock offer there quite often. If not today, check the next day. Some items are sold and traded very quickly! I hope to see you soon at one of our meetings!

Welcome I have a fusion 20 too! I also downgraded from having 2 150 tanks plus! My tank thread is in my signature. I just have 2 of the stock pumps as I took the other one out of a nuvo 16 I had.

I was using the nano stream too but like the mp10 I got much better. I felt like the nanosttream was too powerful and you can't ramp it back.

I have a maxspect razor nano for a light but not too thrilled with it. How do you like your light?

Thanks for the welcome!

I was looking at the MP10 but went with the nanostream for half the price and it comes with a controller. You've got me a bit worried now though. I'm hoping to mainly use it for flow through the back of my rock structure. I love the light, you have full control over intensity and color throughout the day and it ramps up and down on its own. Maybe I should see if anyone has an extra stock pump from a nuvo 20 or 16. Thanks for the idea!

Know of any shops in the Vancouver area with live rock?

OIAB is all we have in Vancouver aside from Alley Cat in the mall (don't buy rock there LOL). If I were you I would try and get a chunk or two off someone else. The hard part is finding a good "pest free" piece. I'd offer mine but I think any in my sump has some sort of algae growing on it :-/

Welcome! I have a nuvo 20 also and did DrTims with the dry rock on my build. Worked out great to be honest.

I also had the 160 and well.....now rocking a 360 over the tank :laugh: The 160 was nice but.......

Good luck with the tank and start a build thread!

Welcome! I have a nuvo 20 also and did DrTims with the dry rock on my build. Worked out great to be honest.

I also had the 160 and well.....now rocking a 360 over the tank :laugh: The 160 was nice but.......

Good luck with the tank and start a build thread!

With do Tim's how long was your cycle with dry rock?

With do Tim's how long was your cycle with dry rock?

Was about 5 fays total I think. I dosed ammonia like they tell you to for 3 days I think until it was all good to go. Never did have a big algae bloom either.

I also used Reefcleaners rock.