ATI users.......splash guards or no guards

The ReefBox

I always did when I had mine but had to clean it periodically. I think it also helps with condensation build up in the fixture along with splash. Besides that, hot bulbs and cold water don't mix well, I was always afraid the water hitting the bulb would cause the bulb to blow and rain glass in the tank.

Im not using the splash guard on mine currently, and didnt use it on the one I had on my 90. I dont like having to clean them, and think the distort some of the light.

The only thing you're accomplishing by not using the splash guard is shortening the life of your bulbs and lowering your par.

Edited by Arsonmfg

Just take a spray bottle, 50/50 vinegar/water, and spray a paper towel/microfiber and wipe the splash guard down every few days. Problem eliminated. It sucks as a part of maintenance, but it's just that, maintenance  

This was my plan and what i do now with some of my fixtures.

Just take a spray bottle, 50/50 vinegar/water, and spray a paper towel/microfiber and wipe the splash guard down every few days. Problem eliminated. It sucks as a part of maintenance, but it's just that, maintenance  

This was my plan and what i do now with some of my fixtures.

Yeah that's what I do. Was just wondering what others did if anything

• Like 1

I think a lot of it depends on the height of the bulbs above the water. Anything under 6-8 inch and I would put them on above that and it's probably not as crucial. I run mine about 4" off the surface and with the amount I clean off the splash guards I would imagine it would ruin the bulbs pretty quick. Also the amount of surface agitation you have would play a big role in how much salt spray you are going to have hitting the lights.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I think a lot of it depends on the height of the bulbs above the water. Anything under 6-8 inch and I would put them on above that and it's probably not as crucial. I run mine about 4" off the surface and with the amount I clean off the splash guards I would imagine it would ruin the bulbs pretty quick. Also the amount of surface agitation you have would play a big role in how much salt spray you are going to have hitting the lights.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

All this talk about atis makes me want another t5 setup! On a sidenote years ago I posted different par levels for different heights of the light. Here's the link;

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/23936-official-club-par-meter-reporting-thread/

C'mon Kim I dare ya. Actually I double dog dare ya

I may just do that Brian lol. The maxspect is a nice light don't get me wrong I just like the color and not having the disco effect. I could probably get away with a 4 bulb one for the 20. Wish I had kept the one I had lol.

• Like 1