Official Club Par Meter Reporting Thread

Emerald525

Those are really good reading . I didn't think you would get that high of par in mid tank (400) with T-5's.

There is a thread on RC which he measured even higher par. Oh the dimensions of the tank are 48L x24H x 24W. The lights are 8 inches from the top because we didn't want to fry the hell out of everything that was used to our other tank.

Bulb combo is

2:ATI purple pluss

1:ATI sunlight

5:ATI blue plus

Be sure to test several areas and use an average rather than trying to use the same spot when lowering the light. You need to do this to get a more accurate measurement because the direction of the light changes as the distance changes which can change the reading in a "Non-proportional" manner when you use a single location. I would want at least 5 readings in various places at each depth (10 would be better). I'll withhold my suspicions regarding myth vs. reality until after more accurate data is available.

We did do several measurements and just having a slight angle to the meter made quite a difference. We also did test initially with the water splatter not cleaned off and then cleaned the lights and there was no significant difference in Par measurement.

It mostly depends on how the reflectors were built.

For instance, some Coralvue MH reflectors works better at 2 ft high (or something like that) compared to the traditional 12 inches. They were built for that (lower the heat and diffuse more), so if you lower the fixture you lose par.

The powermodule was built to work at about 6-8 inches, and at that level you should get the best par that the fixture can produce in a standard tank. But it is not a spot source of light, so it is possible that it can produce more par when lower. Many people run them at 1-2 inches from the water surface.

Par transmission is also influenced by the heat exchange area between the light source and the water, for the presence of evaporation vapors

Ok some more numbers, this one is on the 40b.

DSC02443.jpg

The lights are 2.5 inch's away from the water surface, 18 from the sand bed.

top 600

middle 400

sandbed This one varys to much for an average. 40 to 190. depending on the amount of shade.

All numbers are an average. also I seem to have alot of micro bubbles.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...