Sign in to follow this  
andy

Andy's 10 Gallon Experiment

I don't use an a to either. Just pour it in myself. I have too been burned by an ato in the past.

I hate my maxspect by the way. Too much disco effect and spot light effect. Although the bonus is I can keep some lower light corals higher up on the edges of the tank.

Get a peppermint shrimp, just one will take care of any future aptasia problems. I have around 70lbs of rock and had a crap load of aptaisia. Just two cleaned them out of the tank in about a week.

I tried the picking them off and injecting. Just made the problem worse.

That's awesome, Dave. I've been fortunate than the aiptasia I've found so far have been on easy-to-remove edges of the rock -- i've just cut off the whole corner of the rock with heavy clippers. I've never had any real luck with any of the commercial anti-aiptasia products like Joe's Juice, Aiptasia-X and the like. They just suppress the pest, and make them disappear for a bit, but they always came back.

Great tank. Will be following along. Im attending school in Portland and will be visiting Ocean in a Box. Maybe we can exchange frags later on

• Like 2

When I first set up this tank I told myself the minute I stopped taking care of it, I'd break it down. There's no margin for slackitude on a skimmerless tank. As it turns out, there's a surprisingly large margin for slackitude on a skimmerless tank. Who knew? Either way, I've passed that extended point and livestock is starting to suffer. Time to call it a game. I'll post a for-sale list this weekend. If anyone is interested in taking the whole thing: tank, stand, gear, livestock, supplies, etc. (yah, right... I know... I know..) I'll make a really good deal (like, the whole shooting match for $350). Let me know.

• Like 1

Yah, I gave it a water change and a good cleanup tonight and now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I just need to go bigger ;-) ;-)

15 minutes ago, andy said:

Yah, I gave it a water change and a good cleanup tonight and now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I just need to go bigger ;-) ;-)

Yes!!!!

Yeah, so I'm out. I'm happy to have found a good home for the livestock, and have put up a for sale thread to clear out the gear that's worth selling. Such a great hobby, but I lose the spirit of dedication and things go to poop... literally, I guess.

16 minutes ago, andy said:

Yeah, so I'm out. I'm happy to have found a good home for the livestock, and have put up a for sale thread to clear out the gear that's worth selling. Such a great hobby, but I lose the spirit of dedication and things go to poop... literally, I guess.

Sorry to hear but totally get it.  I had to back away for several years before I was able to recommit to having a tank.  Missed it the whole time but knew I needed to wait for the right circumstances to make it work.  Hopefully you are able to get back in one of these days.