Andy's 10 Gallon Experiment

andy

The purple firefish is really pretty -- but why not go all the way and get a Helfrichi? ;-)

I would have gone for the purple, but the first few fish in a new tank are always a bit of a crapshoot; cheaper is better, until things get stabilized.

"ANDY! Your fish jumped out of the tank!"

-- Andy's wife Zina, moments before she rescues said fish and plops it back in the tank.

Damned Firefish. Suicidal, every last one of them. Guess I better put a cover on the tank. 

• Like 1

they also call them Rainsfordi Gobies.. they had some at World of Wet pets right now I believe.. or petco even had one when I went last.. maybe a $20-30 fish at some places

I liked mine a lot.. Ocean in a Box has a really awesome Flaming Prawn goby in for $150.. Timmylucas has a great video of it

Edited by Sasquatch

• 4 weeks later...

I let things settle in for a couple extra weeks. The tank is much happier now, home to two Yellow Clown Gobies, a Blood Shrimp, and an Antenna Goby -- who is new and hiding, so not in the video.

I ordered my lighting at OiaB today, a Kessil A160 Tuna Blue which should be here on Thursday. Then, CORAL!

Really, wow -- my Blood Shrimp is the most active member of the tank, and I'm glad. The thing I like the least about the nano is that it's hard to find pelagic fish that won't outgrow it in a hot minute... most nano-friendly fish are benthic, and as a result a bit boring so there's very little activity overall. The busy invert helps keeps the tank interesting.

Well I have a 65g acrylic in my garage, drilled for a closed loop, with a stand if you decide the nano is to small. . . 

My shrimp just hides all the time. I think the melansrus wrasse might be the issue, but not gonna pull the wrasse to find out.

I can't help ya on pelagic nano fish, I don't know of any either. :(

Ok, I think I've got an acceptable rig for the Kessil. Here's what I did:

jkr0CIW.jpg

I took a 4' length of square aluminum tubing, and drilled a hole at one end. In the hole went a 12" length of threaded rod held in place with a locking nut on the "outside" edge, some washers then a normal nut on the inside. On the other end of the threaded rod is another locking nut, and a couple of normal ones.

On the workbench, you can see a 90-degree bent strip of aluminum -- that's my first, failed idea. It was too bouncy, thus the square tubing which is MUCH more rigid.

uYjT6Uh.jpg

The other end got a series of mounting holes 2" apart that I used when I bolted the rack to the Ikea stand the aquarium is on. By drilling more than just two holes, I gave myself a bit of latitude for vertical positioning. Then, a couple of holes in the back of the stand and put in 3" bolts to hold it all together.

oIg6Rnm.jpg

And that's the finished product. The Kessil is held in place with an eye-bolt. Not bad. If I decide to stay with it, I'll take it down and hit it with a couple of coats of black Krylon.

I'm not loving the eye-bolt part though. Since the bracket is off center on the top of the Kessil, it lets the Kessil hang slightly tilted. I also worry about it "hopping" off if bumped, or we get a quake (which happens!) I'll probably replace it with a loop of picture-hanging braided wire that I can wrap around once and secure with the nuts.

Still, not bad for about twenty bucks in parts and half an hour in the garage.

That's pretty sweet man. Nice work. I think some paint will help the cord blend in too.

Did I mention I have a ton of extra liverock in the garage too, enough to fill a 65g for sure. Been chillin in there for 7 months. ;) the tank does have some scratches, and needs a new bulkhead... (Making it easier to resist)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk