February Meeting at the Portland Aquarium

Higher Thinking

Mark your calendars folks!  From a presentation by the Cold Water crew in October, to the Christmas party in December, and then an awesome presentation by Scott Fellman last week, our meetings have been coming around in full swing.  We are proud to announce our next meeting scheduled for February 8th at 4:00 PM. Our next meeting will be held at the Portland Aquarium.

We are happy to announce that we have a special arrangement with the Aquarium that will allow members to get admission for only $5.  Even better, the club has allocated funds to cover that cost.  That means that all paid members will get free admission to the aquarium.  Spouses, friends, and children are certainly welcome but they will have to cover their additional admission cost.  Tickets at the door are $11 for adults and $8 for children under 12, but if you buy online you can save yourself $3.

This is going to be another great time, especially as we all gain knowledge from the supportive staff at the aquarium.  We hope to see you all there, especially all your smiling children!!

Misc-Aquarium-Collage-600x450_zpsb360b51

Photo courtesy of Portland Aquarium

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Darn I can't make it. I still haven't actually been there.

Great idea for a meeting.

By the way, when do we get membership cards?

How are you going to know who is a paying member and a nonpaying member?

Can someone take my place and Beth's place for free admission?

We aren't doing membership cards anymore. They have failed to accomplish anything because sponsors haven't required them to receive any discounts offered to members.

As for people taking your place, while it is thoughtful, I don't think that'll be a very legitimate way of dealing with the Portland Aquarium. We have set up this deal based on the honor system and I don't want to be put in a place of being dishonest or taking advantage of the system.

We aren't doing membership cards anymore. They have failed to accomplish anything because sponsors haven't required them to receive any discounts offered to members.

As for people taking your place, while it is thoughtful, I don't think that'll be a very legitimate way of dealing with the Portland Aquarium. We have set up this deal based on the honor system and I don't want to be put in a place of being dishonest or taking advantage of the system.

We never really used them for sponsorships we just used them for member only raffles and deals.  I didn't see it as being dishonest I was just going to pass on Beth and my pass since we couldn't go if that was okay.  How are you going to track who is a paid member?

Also just curious what is the club's thoughts about all the controversy around the Portland Aquarium. Has this been all cleared up? There were concerns about illegal collecting practices and mistreatment of the animals?

http://koin.com/2013/09/01/aquarium-protest-in-milwaukie/

http://www.peta.org/blog/update-hundreds-animals-die-portland-aquarium-austin-may-next/

Edited by Emerald525

Darn I can't make it. I still haven't actually been there. 

Great idea for a meeting.

By the way, when do we get membership cards?

How are you going to know who is a paying member and a nonpaying member?

Can someone take my place and Beth's place for free admission?

I do miss the membership cards regardless if the vendor had asked for em or not, kinda a coolness factor, wish I still had mine. 

I think it is also a great place for a meet , so much marine life in one place and I hear there are a number of reptiles now. A couple of years back there was some controversy behind the owners but I believe they were prosecuted and things have changed. I know for a fact there was a reputable member of the PNWMAS who had a direct hand in turning the QT, treatment, and animal care onto a better path. It will be a great time to ask some questions about the filtration and feeding methods of the facility, I always have questions about larger aquariums being run as I run a maintenance business myself. Always learning new things in the hobby thats for sure. Like the last meet with Scott, it was nice to get the presentation but some of the real jewels were in chatting with the fellow for a few short minutes. I am hoping the Portland staff might give us some VIP treatment, I have heard alot of good things recently.

I presume you are going to be at the meeting Highthinking? If I can break away from my house I would come along, I might even bring my son but no promises. There are some issues at home with my other son so I may have to sit this one out depending on how the cards are dealt. We will see.

I do miss the membership cards regardless if the vendor had asked for em or not, kinda a coolness factor, wish I still had mine. 

I think it is also a great place for a meet , so much marine life in one place and I hear there are a number of reptiles now. A couple of years back there was some controversy behind the owners but I believe they were prosecuted and things have changed. I know for a fact there was a reputable member of the PNWMAS who had a direct hand in turning the QT, treatment, and animal care onto a better path. It will be a great time to ask some questions about the filtration and feeding methods of the facility, I always have questions about larger aquariums being run as I run a maintenance business myself. Always learning new things in the hobby thats for sure. Like the last meet with Scott, it was nice to get the presentation but some of the real jewels were in chatting with the fellow for a few short minutes. I am hoping the Portland staff might give us some VIP treatment, I have heard alot of good things recently.

Yeah I liked the cards too! :). Thanks for the update Robert. I have not actually ever been to the Portland Aquarium. Shaun Monahan was working there for a while though so I was hopeful that they would improve some of their practices. Glad to see that is the case.