Dobie sponges the ultimate aquarium cleaning tool!

Emerald525

I just thought I would pass this along again for some of you newbies. I believe I first heard about using them from Grassi. They work great for cleaning algae and even easily scrape off coralline without scratching the acrylic. Dobie sponges are the best for cleaning acrylic. These are an amazing invention and you can get these at Target. I use it over a magnetic cleaner and it works great. But be careful as it does attract sand and can easily scratch the acrylic this way.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/11/dobie-pads-are-the-ultimate-aquarium-cleaning-and-maintenance-tool/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why have I not heard of this? Oh yeah' date=' because these could suck up 1/3 of my tank's volume of water. hehe.[/quote']

LOL, you could just remove the sponge and use the outer part to scrub your tiny little tank while you use a magnifying glass to find the coralline algae :)

Doobies..........................................

Wrong kinda reefin' Randy (whistle)

I had no idea. This is great deffiniytly going to get some. :)

They work well cleaning the kitchen too. :)

Funny story behind how I found out about these' date=' while looking for Oreos at about 11pm... Haha[/quote']

Hmmmmm... you can't start like that and not finish the story. (nono) :)

Cool. Does it work better than the magic eraser?

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/03/03/magic-eraser-clean/

I've been using the magic eraser for years...works great with all types of algae, except coralline.

It looks like they both have a similar premise, ultra fine abrasive material...sandpaper ish. My biggest complaint with the erasers were that they didn't touch coralline, I'll try doby pads.

Cool. Does it work better than the magic eraser?

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/03/03/magic-eraser-clean/

I've been using the magic eraser for years...works great with all types of algae, except coralline.

It looks like they both have a similar premise, ultra fine abrasive material...sandpaper ish. My biggest complaint with the erasers were that they didn't touch coralline, I'll try doby pads.

I haven't tried the magic eraser Isaac but the Dobies do work well on coralline.