New to the PNW, New to the hobby...

rollermonkey

Moved here in February from Virginia when I retired from the Navy. I've wanted pets for years, but couldn't do it with all the going out to sea.

I started a 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube HQI which got wet about 4 weeks ago, and the cycle is still not established completely. (Ammonia and Nitrites are both at zero, but nitrates have spiked into triple-digits for the third time.)

Anyways, I was wondering why there weren't hardly any local folks on the other boards I'v found (Nano-Reef, Reef Central, Reef Tank) and now I know why!

Welcome to the site (welcome)

There is a great and knowlageable group of people on this site. They have been more then happy to help me out and I owe my tanks success to asking many silly questions (whistle)

Looking forward to see what you do with the BioCube. I also recently picked up a 29 and plan on setting it up in a few months. I love the look of the tank,. I just have the standard not the cool HQI version.

@Mandinga, too true. from water changes, to skimming methods, from refugiums to algae scrubbers, even remote DSB...time to research!

I will say though, it sounds like you're expecting the cycling to drop nitrates, but in all likelihood it won't. it takes anaerobic conditions for bacteria to reduce from nitrate (to nitrogen gas), and we generally don't see enough of those conditions in a little tank. if you did see ammonia and nitrite at some point and haven't seen either in a couple weeks, you're probably done with the main cycle. I'd plan out the livestock you want (fish/inverts/corals) and make sure you've got a list that will be happy with each other, happy in the 29g and you'll be happy to have. then start adding a fish or two at a time (adding too much too fast can spike ammonia again). once it's been up for a few months you can start adding corals (unless you're just wanting xenia and kenya tree...those would survive in your tank about two weeks ago, probably :D )

I'll copy/paste some of my stuff from Nano-Reef... Pictures, plans, equipment, and whatnot.

Um, I may be new to the PNW, but I know that Renton, WA is not in Oregon.

:P

We'll try to not hold it against you for living in Washington! Don't change your licenses plates b/c as soon as you do, you'll become a 5hitty driver! Welcome!!!

^Oh my god. Thank you for agreeing with me on the terrible drivers up here!

It's like they have no clue where they're going! Everybody turns into the wrong lanes and/or makes last second lane changes CONSTANTLY. They have to be the most distracted drivers I've ever seen.

^Oh my god. Thank you for agreeing with me on the terrible drivers up here!

It's like they have no clue where they're going! Everybody turns into the wrong lanes and/or makes last second lane changes CONSTANTLY. They have to be the most distracted drivers I've ever seen.

You see its okay, this is how we tell the implants from the ones who have lived in Washington their whole lives. The implants still use turn signals LOL. Don't be mad Washington members we love ya just the same.