plug-in GFCI okay?

uhuru

Ya, you want to do both. One thing about the plug-in GFCI, the one I have will trip when the power goes out. You have to reset it manually when power is restored. I don't like that, so I don't really use it. Might want to check to make sure the one you get does not do that.

Theron

Changing out a regular outlet for a GFCI outlet is very easy. Maybe 20-30 minutes work at the very most, more like 5-10 if the outlet is easily accesible and you're handy. Just make sure you kill the power before working on the outlet (via the breaker that controls that outlet's circuit.)

Simple directions can be found here: link

-Sol

have any of you changed out a regular outlet for a GFCI outlet? how hard is it to do?

I have done it many times. Just make sure to TURN OFF THE POWER AT THE BREAKER FIRST! Otherwise you get the shock of your life (or is it death?)

If you want some help doing this, just ask. I am not an electrician, but I can stare over your shoulder and tell you if you are doing it right. I also have a thing that you plug into the outlet when you are done, and it will tell you if you did it correct.

Cheers :)

dsoz

have any of you changed out a regular outlet for a GFCI outlet? how hard is it to do?

Like most things in life, it depends. I've done this several times. Most were easy and straightforward, just need to be CAREFUL. I also tried one recently that was a pain. The box that the outlet was in was too small. I finally gave up and put the standard outlet back in.

It's fairly easy, but some people get confused with line/load side. The best way to protect a single receptacle is to pig tail and connect just to the load side. Otherwise you will be protecting every thing else down the line. What his means is if something down the circuit fails/shorts, it will take out your tank equipment as well.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT connect the pigtail to the load side. The outlet will not work properly. GFCI outlets have 2 ways to function. (1st) If you pigtail the wires & connect to the LINE side it will only protect that outlet. (2nd) If you are able to identify the line & load side of the receptacle you can connect it that way. The way to identify is to shut off the circuit breaker & disconnect the wires. Make sure the wires are not touching anything & turn the breaker back on. Using a meter identify which black & white wires have 120 volts on them now. Turn the breaker back off now & connect those wires to the line side. Connect the other wires to the load side. I would not reccommend this as all equipment downline of the GFCI is now protected & has the potential to trip the gfci & the tank. Pigtailing to the line side only protects the tank & will still continue to allow power to the rest of the circuit if the gfci trips.

There is not a 5 outlet gfci made that i know of. The best way is to install a gfci outlet & plug in a surge strip.

Cuda

You don't have to install a breaker box, just shut off the breaker you are replacing, remove it, unscrew the screw holding the wire down, connect the wire to the GFCI breaker, screw down the screw to hold the wire and pop it in. Its SOOOO simple, basically 2 steps more than that plug in GFCI you posted. How much does that thing cost anyway?

Nevermind, cost is similar to GFCI breaker. But did you notice this

Item on backorder, not available for order at this time. Expected in on 04/20/2007.

I finally installed my GFCI outlet this past weekend. I have a new respect for electricians - not because it was a difficult task (very simple actually), just that moment before you touch the HOT wire from the wall you realize you are trusting your life to a little $7 voltage sensor.

I also happened to have a server grade UPS backup that was not in use so I plugged my MJ900 in to it (which feeds water to the fuge), I think if there were a power failure it would probably run it for 8 hours at least!

Im opposite most people here it seems, I think GFCI's are spawn my satan and do nothing but cause MAJOR head aches. IN the state of Oregon it is not required for an aquarium.

They trip randomly, work very poorly with motors (external non magdrive pumps) and have caused me major problems with electronic ballasts.

You can have my GFCI's Ive been needing to remove them and put in normal outlets. Recently it tripped and I had no power over night in a few tanks for 7 hours. (the timer stopped so I knew when it died). I reset it and it has been running since. RANDOM!? Nothing wrong, just the [language filter] thing not working well.

Major PITA if you ask me.