The LED experiment

CA2OR

Is it in fact dimmable or no?

I doubt its dimmable. You may be able to wire in a dimmer between the transformer and fixture, but you would still only be controlling the dimming for the entire fixture and not color balance. I've been researching several options as well and am probably going to build myself.

Probably not.....I don't test my water

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Then your results will be meaningless. If you're trying to test whether or not a type of lighting setup effects the growth of coral, you would want to hold all other influential levels as constant as possible.

Re: The LED experiment

That would go against my experience....this tank is going to be plumbed into the main display.....results will be determined off of growth or death. I never noticed my lighting affect my parameters.

Here is final layout....there is still a blue hornet frag, nightmare frag, and a few other sps and lps being added in the next week but nothing else is going to change....oh....and there is 1 hermit in there ATM

Seems the LED's are going to make me mess with the camera a bit so till then here is cell shots

411946d5.jpg

52a85273.jpg

ec734be8.jpg

37fd070c.jpg

Then your results will be meaningless. If you're trying to test whether or not a type of lighting setup effects the growth of coral, you would want to hold all other influential levels as constant as possible.

I gotta agree and I think you need PAR readings also to equalize the different tank depths.

Oh...yes I am using a par meter soon to test and will post those results for those that care....but not going to test water parameters....I don't even care about the par....never tested 60g's par and everything is still growing fine....;)

I am lost....so if the corals grow that doesn't mean anything?

It doesn't tell you anything about the lights since you have so many other unmeasured variables. It doesn't look like it's plumbed into the main tank. Maybe you'll post pics of that after you've done it, and start your "experiment" over.

• Like 1

It doesn't tell you anything about the lights since you have so many other unmeasured variables. It doesn't look like it's plumbed into the main tank. Maybe you'll post pics of that after you've done it' date=' and start your "experiment" over.[/quote']

You need a randomized double blinded study with a larger sample size and to control for all the parameters you can . Otherwise the information is merely anecdotal like much of the advice here which is fine.

Otherwise you don't know if it's the different nitrates, calcium, whatever that is affecting the growth.

This will be plumbed, if you need water parameters then I would suggest not following this as I will not be testing. PAR is as far as it goes for now unless there is a problem then I will test and post

Small update with test results

Cut 3 frags off this milli

37fd070c.jpg

And placed one on each level

Bottom

fded83d7.jpg

Middle

4e93479f.jpg

659aa1b6.jpg

Test results

Sal 1.025

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Amonia 0

PH 8.0

Phosphate 0

Same as 60.....with different light.

Am I the only one who doesn't see where light affects parameters?

I was thinking about that as well and I don’t think that they would affect the parameters, it is more of ruling out a certain condition if it seems things don’t grow as well or grow better-It takes the water conditions out of the equation when so many variables can come into play when try to determine how well the lights can grow something.

I think you are fine without the test, it just depends on how anecdotal or anal you want to be(scratch)

One of those words fit-don’t they

DOH!

Am I the only one who doesn't see where light affects parameters?

LOL, you are the one who has been saying that light affects parameters. It's just that your results might be skewed if you don't *measure* parameters since they are influential in coral growth and you might actually be seeing the effect of those parameters and not the effect of the light... go look up "confounding" on wikipedia if you are still confused.

If you don't want to measure, then don't. Some people are fine with anecdotal evidence. It's what brought us bloodletting, and vaccines "causing" autism. (scratch)

Kinda like the whole dosing snake oil?....lol

No seriously I would imagine any growth would be accredited to the light as if I had no light I would get no growth....right?

True but if the corals don't grow the test's will help to implicate the light and rule out you as a factor. I mean if everything goes well the tests will prove to be somewhat useless. However if you show little to no grow you will have proved nothing because it could all be water quality. I guess you did say you would test if you had problems though? P.S. I never test my water either LOL

I was thinking about that as well and I don’t think that they would affect the parameters, it is more of ruling out a certain condition if it seems things don’t grow as well or grow better-It takes the water conditions out of the equation when so many variables can come into play when try to determine how well the lights can grow something.

I think you are fine without the test, it just depends on how anecdotal or anal you want to be(scratch)

One of those words fit-don’t they

DOH!

i can make them both fit. analdotal and anecanal.

Artificial coral growth, as natural coral growth, is influenced by seasons. Any test should be run for at least 12 months to obtain good results. So time is another important parameter.

There is a lot of references in the study of the so called Reefballs (yes, it sounds kinda funny).

Also, good source of information is the University of Hawaii, Department of Oceanography. There are a lot of papers from them that are available online.

But if your light/temp/nutrient parameters are the same year 'round you aren't giving any seasonal cues. Coral don't have calendars. Its like greenhouse growing plants.

Probably, if you have a good chiller or a temperature controlled room, which is not this case. Not sure though. Think about the effects of the moon