Sand?

siskiou

I'm trying to decide if I should start out with new sand in the 120G I'll be setting up, or if I should use they sand currently in the 40G and add more.

I assume my 3 1/2 year old sand in the 20H should go in the compost, even though it looks nice and clean thanks to Pernicus, the Watchman goby and his friend Fidget, the pistol shrimp. :)

I've seen some very nice looking sand in pictures here, and wonder what type of sand people are using.

It seems I always end up with the coarse and dirty looking stuff.

I like the araganite. You may contact some one local LFS and see if theyhave, or can get the sand from PC. I use a #2 and really like it. White, clean, and stays way clean. If not down there, I'm sure someone here(Salem) could get it for you. I don't know how deep your SB was, but you may want to give a good cleaning in tank water, get all the crap out, but maintain bio.If you reuse it.

before that let me know what grain your looking for, if its a medium density or fine like southdown, my local store is about 25% cheaper than the stores you shop at local. I can always haul some up. The price here was about $12 a bag cheaper.... or more.

Do you think 50lbs would be plenty for a 120?

That's the size bags it comes in.

Or should I get 2 bags (100lbs)?

I guess I'm still remembering the 1-2lbs per gallon rule, but that may be for DSBs.

I put 80 pounds in my 6' x 18-24" bow It gave me about 2" deep (medium course aragonite)

so I would probably get 50 pounds and see what that gets you. The sand your getting is a little more dense, so it will take more.

My jawfish does 100% fine with 2" deep, he doesn't really care, he has set up shop in a barnacle and pile sand over the front entrance. He has used the 2" bed for about 4-5 months til he found the barnacle I strategically placed near his home.

thats awesome nyles! I really want something to keep my sandbed stirred up and clean. I really hate when a tank has beautiful corals and rockwork and the sandbed looks like poo. There is another brand of sand called playwright that is sold thru lowes and is aragonite like southdown. Anyone ever looked into this type or used it before?