A place to buy famed coral?

Isaac

A place to buy famed coral?  

1. 1.

• I would totally buy farmed rare corals dude!
    • That idea sucks!
    • I'm not sure?

I would like to know if our local reef community would benefit from a place that farmed the stuff you usually can only buy online. I'm not talking about an aquarium shop but rather an exotic coral farm. No fish. No equipment. Just farmed rare and exotic corals. This would include rare zoanthids, acroporas, montiporas, chalices, and acans. I am open to any feedback or ideas that you might have. So please don't be shy.:D

I would like to work with Steve Tyree to get more of his famous corals into the Northwest. It could be a place where you can find things like farmed purple hornets and tyree watermelon chalice. I envision rows of oregon tort, 30k lokani and anything else that we all really want but have a hard time finding.

I would like to work with Steve Tyree to get more of his famous corals into the Northwest. It could be a place where you can find things like farmed purple hornets and tyree watermelon chalice. I envision rows of oregon tort' date=' 30k lokani and anything else that we all really want but have a hard time finding.[/quote']

sounds like a good plan so far, maybe different members can chip in or trade if they already own tyree branded coral.... ie i have the $500 efflo so i could do a trade for say tyree flower petal monti or something. that would be a good way to build up your stock

I like the sounds of the plan too.

But why no fish? I understand the no equip. and dry goods part. But why no fish? You could even house some of the more rare fish. IE golden angels, helfrichi firefish, black tangs, and such. Along with some of the more common reef fish to help pay for other things. People are just as likely to buy fish as they do corals.

Just wondering?

"exotic coral farm"

I'm pretty sure my dad started one of those 22 years ago. (laugh)

The only difference is that he also started selling fish, and supplies as well.

I'd go for it if I were you. With 13 years of credible experience of it myself I have to say it is quite fun.

We currently aquaculture more than 100+ exotic species of coral including many "LE's", and quite a few of our own unique color morphs that were created in our systems. These corals have been aquacultured anywhere from 1 to 14 years each, they grow ridiculously fast and maintain awesome coloration because of it.

We only have a few aquacultured Chalice and Acan corals though. But, we do have the biggest selection of aquacultured SPS in the whole northwest though, so I think that makes up for it. ;)

Either way I think that if you seriously got into aquaculturing it would be very beneficial. It sickens me to see the amount of business' that are removing, not a few, but thousands of whole Australian coral colonies out of the wild every single year through Australian transshippers. Then they inflate the cost of the corals themselves through the roof. It's robbery of the ocean, and your pocketbook if you ask me.

It makes more sense to me to get a few nice corals a years, aquaculture them, and when they're well established sell some frags of it at a reasonable price. It's a fair practice and it has no impact on the ocean at the same time.

In any case, good luck on your endeavors Issac, if you still want to trade some of those amazing chalices in your collection for some of our rare stuff we're still game for trading. Never got the time to get over to the shop, so just send me a message and we can arrange something if you like.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

theres alot of varibles to consider and each coral grows at there own rates so that could be a setback so selling just coral frags maynot pay the bills at first untill you get stuff rolling so you may end up selling drygoods or fish or even doing maintenance untill your stock gets built up as I found out early lol.

I like the sounds of the plan too.

But why no fish? I understand the no equip. and dry goods part. But why no fish? You could even house some of the more rare fish. IE golden angels, helfrichi firefish, black tangs, and such. Along with some of the more common reef fish to help pay for other things. People are just as likely to buy fish as they do corals.

Just wondering?

Don't get me wrong. I do love fish. The problem is, despite all of my attempts they just don't frag well.

theres alot of varibles to consider and each coral grows at there own rates so that could be a setback so selling just coral frags maynot pay the bills at first untill you get stuff rolling so you may end up selling drygoods or fish or even doing maintenance untill your stock gets built up as I found out early lol.

Jody,

I really appreciate your feedback. You guys farm some awesome stuff! I really have a lot to consider with a coral farming business.