How many clams is too many clams? What about RBTA?

fakkzz

When I had my tank before it was fully stocked and happy so I really never added much as far as corals and / or clams. Now that I am getting it back but with little life in it I am having to reconsider the inhabitants. I already have a fabulous huge blue maxima clam but was wondering if I can get more than one this time round?

Another consideration is the RBTA. After seeing them and some of the great pictures posted I was wondering what type of things I should be considering with them? I have read that if you get them placed in a good spot they don't move much. I am very fond of the relationship with clown and anemone!

Thank you all again!

clams require a large amount of calcium and alkalinity to build their shells. If you keep up with this demand then you are only limited by your lights.

As for anemones, there is always the danger of them walking around and stinging corals that are near them. Even if they find a spot that makes them happy. Then once they split, one of them will usually walk away and find a new location. Also, RBTAs can get HUGE! Under good conditions, they can be over 9 inches in diameter. That is a lot of realestate to give up to an anemone.

Clowns will host other things other than anemones. My clowns just decided that they would host frogspawn coral. I have not seen them in hammer coral yet, but they would probably accept that as well.

If you have your mind set on an anemone, then don't let me talk you out of one, just make an informed decision, not an emotional one.

Have you read this page? http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

There is a lot of good information about anemones there.

dsoz

• Like 1

For that size tank i would not stock any more then 5-6 clams. Usually maximas and croceas are use to living in large aggrigations and would work fine as long as you have metal halide lighting. The gigas, squamosa, and derasa are large clams that will in time grow very large. The gigas will grow too large for your tank. The squamosa and derasa will get to 3'+ in size Clams are heavy users of calcium, magnesium and other shell building minerals. You need to be sure to keep those levels consistent. Clams are also great natural filter systems and do help keep the water cleaner by filter feeding. As for the 'feeding clams' you dont have to worry as long as the clam is over 3" in size. Anything smaller and you will have to feed micro plankton/zooplankton

Any more clam questions just let me know, ive been working with them since the early 90's :)

• Like 1

I don't plan on to many. I was thinking two possibly three if my tank can sustain it. I love mine. I see others in the stores and they are so tiny like babies compaired to mine but there are some beautiful color variations! When you have the smaller ones that need fed do you add the food to the water or do you have to spot feed. I'd think they would close up so spot feeding might be hard?

When I had small clams I will take them and put them in a seperate container add in the liquid food and allow the clam to filter feed, it should clear the water in the container in about 15-20 mins. Usually most folks use phytonplankton cultures to feed them

clams require a large amount of calcium and alkalinity to build their shells. If you keep up with this demand then you are only limited by your lights.

As for anemones, there is always the danger of them walking around and stinging corals that are near them. Even if they find a spot that makes them happy. Then once they split, one of them will usually walk away and find a new location. Also, RBTAs can get HUGE! Under good conditions, they can be over 9 inches in diameter. That is a lot of realestate to give up to an anemone.

Clowns will host other things other than anemones. My clowns just decided that they would host frogspawn coral. I have not seen them in hammer coral yet, but they would probably accept that as well.

If you have your mind set on an anemone, then don't let me talk you out of one, just make an informed decision, not an emotional one.

Have you read this page? http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

There is a lot of good information about anemones there.

dsoz

I would second all of Dennis' comments about the RBTA. I have had one now for over 2 years and it has been in the same spot most all of that time. It did move several times before settling in though so if you are going to get one, add it early and let it settle before adding many other corals. Mine is easily 12-14 inches across during the day when the lights are on so it does consume a lot of real estate! That being said, there is nothing quite like the motion and color they provide. I also have clowns that host large hairy mushrooms so, as Dennis says, you don't need the anemone just because you enjoy clown hosting behavior.

Good luck!

Sean

STYLASTER, you have been doing the clam thing for awhile. Every place I go they have a different light set up. My lights would never look the same ofcourse once I get something in the tank... how do I pick out that perfect clam. So many of them are pictured and seen from above, where as my tank is custom built so the stand is taller than most stands so when you are standing up you don't so much look down but across?

Do clams do ok in the lower part of the tank?

As for picking out the perfect clam....

Check to make sure the mantle is well extended and that they react to you passing your hand over them (should close up or jerk the mantle)

Check the under side to make sure the hinge is not broken, check the bysuss opening to make sure there are no tears in the flesh. The thready looking stuff is byssus filaments and they are ok, usually will have pieces of rock shell, etc attached to it.

Make sure the clam mantle is not bleached (ie faded looking spots on the mantle) Check very close for pyramid snails (small conical shaped size of a grain or rice or smaller) They like to hide on the bottom of the clam or in the scutes

Try to get one that is atleast 3" in size or better... they seem to adjust better and have better long term success.

As for clam viewing best view always is top down, not much you can do about that unless you get a tank with a 45 deg angled front or have an open top tank to look down on them.

Clam placement:

Maximas and croceas will do best as high up as you can get them

Gigas, squamosa, derasa and hippopus do well on the sand at the bottom of the tank and have developed closed byssus opening as they get larger to protect themselves from predators under the sand.

• Like 1

I'm not good yet identifying them but I think it will be croceas that I'd be looking for. I am very fond of the green and turquoise mantels right now so it could be a maxima. Looks like either one likes the top. Thank you for the great advise!