Newest additions to tank (fish)

CA2OR

I have read that triggers don't get along with lions, but I have a niger and half moon trigger housed with a volitan lion. At first the lion and the niger trigger fought but they have been together now for a few months and seem to get along. The niger does get really aggressive during feeding time, so I have to feed my lion on the opposite side of my tank.

• Like 1

Just because some fish are not compatible with others doesnt meen 4 sure that these fish in this tank wont get along just fine. I have been keeping 2 giant green brittle starfish for over 6 years and they havent touched a fish yet. However if I neglect them their silversides I start seeing empty nassarious snail shells here and there..... Right now my biggest concers is the no good mantis shrimp. I have been ignoring the problem but its hard when you hear the tap tap and know somewhere someone is getting the bajesus bashed out of their shell. I would keep the agressive ones well fed to keep them from being tempted to eat their freinds

Jay

yes but the tank size is temporary. This lion is the size of a quarter when he is spread out. The only real worry I have right now is the male clown. He is the same size as the lion. But once I upgrade tanks, or get a second one, I will seperate the lion from the clowns. My hope is at some point have a reef tank and an aggressive fish only tank, ie triggers lion maybe eal or something. Key word here is hope though

Just take it slow. Cut back to a FO tank for awhile. Then, when you are able to, you can get back into the reef thing. I did the FOWLR thing for a couple years and am now dabbling in reef.

One thing I've learned is.......no impulse buying fish. Normally I end up regretting it and lose money in the end. Do plenty of research for your tank size and what kind of fish you will want. Also what tankmates your existing livestock can have.

I've had a lion before. Him and my eel had a mutual respect for each other for a couple months. Then they started fighting more and more. Since the eel cost me 10 times what the lion did, the lion went back to LFS. I've had a few other fish that just didn't get along with some of my tank occupants too. I don't even like to think about how much money I've lost because of fish incompatibilities and impulse buying.

I got bored with the aggressive tank not too long ago. I wanted to do reef. So, I've done a hybrid. I still have my eel, but got other semi-aggressive fish that don't eat coral. So far so good. A lot of action in the tank and some LPS and an anemone to look at. I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

Oops.....now I'm babbling. Anyway...Hopefully things will work out for ya and you'll have some kind of marine tank to enjoy. Just take it slow and try to research before buying.

very good advice. Thank you wobble. I do think that fish eating fish would be entertaining. I was always pleased with my cichlid tank. But SW fish are nicer to look at, have bigger teeth, and have a much cooler envirnment in corals and anemone's and such.

I did the opposite and started in reef and went to a FOWLR tank. I also agree that impulsing buying can bite you in the butt. You go to the store and see a cool looking fish to find out later you just gave one of your other fish a $30 meal.

One fish that I would recommend that is entertaining to watch is a puffer. I have a Striped Dogface and he is one of the most personable fish I own. He will eat silversides from my hands and will come to the surface of my tank when I walk up to it. Atleast once a day he will swim to the top of the tank, drop straight down to the sand and then swim backwards. I have no idea why he does it, just being weird I guess.

Dogface puffers get rather large and need a large tank but the toby puffers stay small and are pretty cool looking.

My experience with a toby wasn't so good. He was really cool looking and had a great personality at the LFS. However, right after being introduced to my tank, he went straight at my little maroon clown. Ate his tail off in about 2 minutes. I had to scare him away with my hand then net him. He spent the night in the fuge and went back to the LFS the next day. Bummer too. I really liked him.

very good advice. Thank you wobble. I do think that fish eating fish would be entertaining. I was always pleased with my cichlid tank. But SW fish are nicer to look at' date=' have bigger teeth, and have a much cooler envirnment in corals and anemone's and such.[/quote']

yeah watching fish eat fish can be cool..i used to have 2 piranhas that got to around 6", i would feed them goldfish and they'd tare it apart