Goin' clamming

aqua-ed

Any fellow clammers out there? I usually go up to Astoria and get razors, but I am looking for a spot closer to me. I live in Dallas, so I'd like to find a spot somewhere in the vicinity of Lincoln city (or closer than Astoria!). Any body willing to share a hot spot tip? I'd prefer to go for hard shell clams that don't require a huge minus tide.

Thanks!

+1, Yaquina bay in Newport. Park in the lot at the Hatfield Marine Science Center, then walk out in the mud-flats at low tide. If you take your shoes off, you will step on cockles.

I also dug a few times there, and got some. I don't remember what type.

The best part of doing this was that I lived in the dorms at HMSC for two summers, so I was out clamming to my hearts content. Then I used the free ocean water at the center to purge the clams for a couple of days. No sand is good. I also used the holding tanks to keep crab alive for a couple of days after a successful crabbing trip. Fresh crab and clams. YUM. :)

dsoz

I have found that the Yaquina Bay mud stinks too bad to dig. Too much polution from Toledo mills. I like the Alsea and the Siuslaw. I have both dug the mud and razor clams and raked for the "cockels" I prefer the mud clams for chowder and fritters. let me know if you need a great recipe for clam fritters, i have the old family recipe and would be willing to share it.

The suction tools don't work very well in mud' date=' but for razor clams they work good. Miles, pm me and I'll give some of the finer points of clamming.[/quote']

C'mon guys... it's just not the same if you aren't out there with a shovel cutting your hands up on broken razor clam shells! Wait a second... what am I saying anyway DOH!

I grew up in Seaside and have done a ton of razor clamming but never raked for Cockles..HUMMM might have to give it a shot ..

That is cool! I used to spend a few weeks each summer down there with neighbors when I was a kid - hence the cut up clamming hands! Don't know many people that actually grew up there though. Sad part is, I don't actually like clams - well, eating them anyway :D

I go like everyone else to newport....dig for horsenecks under the bridge....rack for cockles over by hatfield marine center.....and go to agate beach for razors..

.We should get a clamming trip to yaquina setup...I think the best way to learn is to be shown in person.....