SPS Emergency

downhill_biker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that sounds like a decent solution. shoot I might get one too. Thanks Miles.

its not a solution. they just help. just like having a cleaner shrimp isn't going to get rid of ich. they keep populations down, but they dont "fix" the problem. if you want a good pest eater, the sixline wrasse is known for eating pests. it is the original tride-and-true pest eater.

so he should get a six line?

no if he already has a fish that is playing the role of pest control. what i said was, it is not a solution, but rather a helpful piece in reducing pet population numbers. i was saying for you; if you are looking for a pest control fish, a sixline is a surefire bet. just dont think that it is going to be a solution.

Eesh - this is my memory from about 3 years ago, so keep that in mind. I will do a quick search to see if I can find instructions, but I believe that one pill (of the large dog size) will treat 300-350 gallons (was something odd, like 340). So grind up a pill - e.g. between two spoons - and then proportion accordingly.

Remember, if you have any ornamental crabs/shrimp, they will be killed, too - so get them out for the duration if you can.

Mix the pill dust up in a small amount of water to get it desolved, them pour into the tank.

Good luck - and remember to repeat weekly for two more dosages. Good luck.

I believe recommendation is to leave for at least 6 hours before running carbon, but I would wait longer, since Interceptor doesn't harm anything except red bugs.

Ah, here we go:

The dosage used in an aquarium to kill red bugs is 25 mg per 10 gallons of actual tank water. That is 25 mg of the entire tablet. Each tablet in the pack of 6 will treat about 380 gallons. The tablets are ground with a mortar and pestle into a fine powder.

The entire volume of water in the system must be considered as the pill will dissolve into the whole system, not just main aquarium. Thus, it is necessary to take into account things like the sump, a refugium, the water in a skimmer, calcium reactor, canister filter, or any large pieces of plumbing. Also, before adding the medication to your tank, turn off your skimmer and any UV sterilizers and ozone generators. Then, remove any mechanical filtration and carbon if present.

Remove any shrimp or crabs that you want to save. They will have to stay out of the system for the duration of the treatment. However, be warned that if you add them back to your tank, there is a slight chance that you will re-introduce the red bugs to your tank.

The next step is to dissolve the medication into some aquarium water, a process that will likely require stirring, as the powder is not very water soluble. Then, spread the mixed water evenly across the surface of the water. Your tank should remain perfectly clear and look normal the entire time. The bugs hang on well into the 4th and 5th hour of the treatment as their appendages will still be hanging onto the flesh. Many of the bugs may even hang on for days even after they are dead.

If anything goes wrong during treatment perform a water change ASAP and add a large amount of carbon to your system.

After 6 hours, a 25% minimum water change is performed and as much activated carbon as you can fit should be added to the tank. In the initial tests, crustaceans that were reintroduced to a tank after a 25% water change and carbon were unaffected by the medication. 24 hours later the water should be changed again and the carbon replaced. There is no maximum for the water changes or carbon, the more you do the better.

The treatment needs to be performed a minimum of 3 times as the medication does not kill them at every stage of their life. Thus, even though most adults may be killed in the first treatment, there may be some juveniles and eggs that remain which were not affected by the treatment. The third treatment is a “just in case” treatment, its goal is to get any bugs that could have possibly survived the first two.

You're welcome - glad it was helpful.

Oh, that sucks. Your acro crabs won't survive the treatment.

You could try to get them out of the coral, but that's so hard that you'll likely damage the coral and possibly kill the crab anyway.

That really sucks, I can't wait to get some acro crabs. It would break my heart to have to kill them medicating the tank. (sad)

Yikes - AEFW, Red bugs. I've talked to some folks semi-recently that had (those whose name is too terrible to mention).

The nasties seem to be going around these days. (scary)

I'm going to go home and stare at my tank through a magnifying glass for a few hours tonight.