SPS Emergency

downhill_biker

I had some corals go into major RTN this morning and didn't know what the problem was. I fragged the good portion of the corals and they stopped RTN. Shawn (coralreefaquarist) came over tonight and mentioned that one of the other members has some acro eating nudibranch's. One of the people he got corals from was me, and I haven't seen anything. But Shawn got home tonight and took pics of his new coral and he thinks there are parasites on them. He will post pics soon.

Please help ID this, and fix this if there is a problem. This may get really, really ugly as I have sold a bunch of corals lately...of course I would've aquired them fairly recently, so that may leave a lot of the Portland group out of this.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****. 120 percent thats them.i was watching them crawl(enforcer) not nudis flatworms! **** the piece was only in my tank for like 3 hours but it was prob enough time for them to spread.i was told there is a dip that will kill them right off the piece then you have to quarantine all of the acros for a long long long time, because the flatworms come off the acro at night lay there eggs in the rock and sand and come out and eat in the day.

this is them for sure look at all the light white. its bite marks. crapolla. i was told montis are ok aswell as milis. we will see.(sad)(sad)(sad)(sad)(sad)(sad)(sad)the good news they can be beat!

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

Of the ones that I picked up a few weeks ago I don't see anything haven't lost any thing and don't see bites on anything... With me having lots of frags it easy for me to see them and so far so good I don't know if this helps with the time line...

redbugs flatworms suck. we must use interceptor?

Looks like it. Melev recommends more people do it, even without redbugs, because the treatment is easy and very effective. I guess I need to send out a bunch of pm's and let people know to check their corals. I have no idea when i got them, so check your corals. Melev said they can exist in a reef tank forever without causing problems, he sees them every once in a while, and they usually aren't harmful.

So, you can probably treat the one coral, but I need to treat the entire tank, once a week for 3 weeks.

Now...Is my 6 line eating these?

Yeah those are redbugs guys not flatworms. There are much easier to get rid of. Very easy compared to others.

You have a expert in Miles down there in Eugene. He has fought off every possible infestation you can get in the reef world :)

I would get some TMPCC and talk to Miles.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=TP2191&child=TP2191&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=TP2191&utm_content=TropicMarinProCoralCure200ml&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base

TMPCC will work as a dip, but Interseptor will treat the whole tank. As Curtis mentioned, once a week for three weeks.

It will kill all crabs and shrimp (including most of your pod populations) so if you can get those out of your tank for the duration, you should.

Red Bugs suck, but they are probably the easiest of the dreaded three (along with AEFW and Monti eating nudis) to get rid of.

I don't know about starfish, but snails aren't harmed by interceptor.

TMPCC those bad boys, I had them 18 months ago, interceptor helped, but TMPCC is what finally killed them off. Interceptor did most the work, then when I seen some on a coral I would just dip that particular coral, it was not fun.

Yep those be redbugs. My personal opinion would be to remove all acros to QT and do weekly TMPCC dips. 3 should do it, then leave the tank free of acros for 8 weeks.

I just found out i have AEFW, again! Luckily i haven't sold anything to anyone for awhile. But i don't know where i got them. I QT everthing except for corals i get from a few select people. Guess thats gonna have to change.